DME late addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gio

Reaction score
I do partial mashes with DME late addition, usually with about 20 minutes left in the boil.

I know many of people have this problem and that is the addition of the DME stops the boil. Do I subtract the time the wort is not boiling (can be as long as 5-10 minutes) from the total boil time? In other words, do I really need to boil for 65-70 minutes for a 60 minute recipe to get the same hops utilization?

Don't over-engineer it. 5-10 minutes doesn't amount to beans in the long run. Just make sure your late hops actually end up 10, 5, zero minutes from the end of the boil or whatever was prescribed in the recipe.

Oh man (slaps forhead as the lights go on!) I love that. I've been "stopping the clock" for my late addition. But I also have been letting the pot sit for 5 minutes before starting the chiller (a short rest after adding the flame-out hops.)

Adding late DME during the flame-out rest is just too cool and logical! Thanks Yoop!

Or, add your DME at flame out or at the end of the boil. Then you don't have to worry about it stopping the boil.

Or, add your DME at flame out or at the end of the boil. Then you don't have to worry about it stopping the boil.

I thought about doing this, but it seems to take 10 minutes or so of stirring to get it to completely dissolve. I like to use the wort chiller to chill it as soon as possible. I'm worried I might end up with undissolved chunks.

I thought about doing this, but it seems to take 10 minutes or so of stirring to get it to completely dissolve. I like to use the wort chiller to chill it as soon as possible. I'm worried I might end up with undissolved chunks.

That hasn't been my experience, but I've used a whisk. LME especially is great at flameout, so it doesn't drop to the bottom and scorch if the flame is out!

Latest posts

Back