It's a sickness you know.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakewoodBrew

Reaction score
I now realize that brewing is an immutable force... I love building things, and I love beer. Sort of a perfect storm of a hobby.

I just went out to the garage to pour myself a "goodnight" taste of my latest brew and realized that I could make a really cool fermentation cellar by insulating and enclosing a shelving unit and putting room air conditioners into the different zones... I'll spare you the details but the crazy part is I already have a very well functioning ferm cellar from a mod'd refrigerator... but it "only" has one temp zone and can "only" hold two 1/2bbl sankes.

I think I need to check in to maker rehab or something...

I am actually looking into building a "large ferm chamber" as well, from shelving. I have been shopping around for the "perfect shelving unit". I plan to:

-cut the shelving unit to make a brew stand out of 2 racks.
-use the remaining 3 as a fermentation chamber.
- I will cannibalize a dorm fridge/fridges and use it/them for cooling.
- The completed unit should have 3 "zones" 1 for standard ales, 1 for lagering and 1 for either bottle conditioning or for general beer item storage (I am undecided on this for now.)

The worst part is almost all funds are being diverted into "wedding stuff" and I am pretty sure this is going to be my "big summer project".

Once I get into a place where I'll have the room to make a proper ferm chamber, I'll have one too. More important, right now, is getting a keezer setup (since I'll be kegging very soon)... With a small apartment (1 bedroom sized for now) space is tight. Especially with four batches of mead in process (a one gallon, two 3 gallon, and one 5 gallon sized batches) and four batches of beer in process (two aging on wood chips, two still in primary)... Thankfully, I have a decent sized kitchen for all that. I might use room in the kitchen closet for a ferm chamber, come spring...

I'm planning on moving later this year, into a larger place, so I'll be looking to get something with enough room for my brewing too. Hopefully something on the first floor, so that I can also brew outside, then bring it all inside to ferment...

I built my brew stand, have the shelving unit as a ferm rack but no temp control and am married.

I've been using an old,large printer stand next to the comp hutch for a fermenter stand/storage unit. Really handy & holds a lot of stuff. I've been contemplating something along those lines built to fit on top of it that can hold both fermenters. And be electronicly controlled somehow.

Back