First Year Cones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoutman

Reaction score
Hey guys I have buds starting at the base of each leaf on my first year first time NUGGETs. She's up over eight feet and looking healthy. ight i expect a Cone or Two or am I just dreaming?

stoutman - I have a first year Nugget plant in a pot and it is well over 12', side arms growing everywhere and burrs out the wazoo! So yeah you'll probably get a handful.

It sounds like quite a few first-year growers (myself included) are getting cones. My Hallertau (in a container) is 18' tall and has cones from about 7' and above. The biggest cones right now are the size of a large grape.

It just shows that you took good care of them this year. Just imagine what you're gonna get next year!

I'm getting tons of cones on my first year cascade. They are the size of large grapes. I think it is because there was so much rain this spring. The bines are close to 20 feet tall and from about a third of the way up they are all full of cones. I'm pretty excited because I had it in my head not to expect anything this year. I'm going to have plenty to brew and then I guess I'll give away the rest or sell some???

Amazing... first to post has 8 foot bines. Then comes someone with 12 footers. Next guy has 18 feet, followed by Major Tom who tells us his are close to 20 foot tall. If this continues we're sure to hear from Jack.

I had first year cones last year from my Fuggles and EKG. I didn't have enough to brew with, but I saw just enough cones to see the process and apply some of the knowledge of when to pick. It's all a good learning process. Congrats! Next year will be a good one now that you have the root development. :)

I have 4 first year Centennial plants. One got to the top of my 15' trellis and continues to grow and has cones everywhere! There's a second with a lot of buds about 9' up and the other two are only about 6' w/ very little bud action.

I think I'm going to get first year production from everything buy my sterling. My cascades are already heavy with cones. Nugget has recently set a ton of burrs and I have a few magnum cones. I hope I get enough cascade to hold me for the year. I just bought a food saver and a bunch of bags...

This is my first year as well, and I have two plants - chinook and centennial. The centennial is very healthy/bushy but short (only about 5 ft), and the chinook is over 20 ft and still going! Both have little flowery-bud-like-poof-things ALL over... are these what you guys are referring to as "burrs"? Are these what turn into cones? Can I expect any cones this year (very long summers in Idaho)?

I have a 1st year cascade that is over 12ft and producing quite a few cones. I am actually thinking of harvesting some this weekend after a look at the inside of one this morning.

There is definately yellow on the inside but I was kind of expecting more. How much should there be?

One of my three Cascades had cones. Not enough to brew with, but enough to spike a BMC if need be!

The second year is looking very good. My smallest is still smallest, but the largest is way past the top of my 16' pole and there are tons of buds appearing.

I'm thinking about trying something different, like EKG or something.

I ended up with .3oz of dried cones off my first year Fuggle last year. I still brewed with em'.

This year they are nuts(tons of burrs), the Cascades just topped out on my 18' pole, and one bine of the Centennial is almost to the top.

I'd probably do better, but all mine are in pots.

This is my first year as well, and I have two plants - chinook and centennial. The centennial is very healthy/bushy but short (only about 5 ft), and the chinook is over 20 ft and still going! Both have little flowery-bud-like-poof-things ALL over... are these what you guys are referring to as "burrs"? Are these what turn into cones? Can I expect any cones this year (very long summers in Idaho)?

Yes, the flowers (burrs) will turn into cones. Start planning your drying strategy...!

Cascades are coming along very nicely!

3f5e137d.jpg

If your plants have burrs, you will get some cones. My Centennials are about ready for harvest, and the other plants are not far behind.

Wow, you guys are getting some tall plants! Thats making me rethink growing them where I am.

Wow, you guys are getting some tall plants! Thats making me rethink growing them where I am.

Where do you have your plants? Mine are full southern exposure where they get a ton of sun all day long. And it gets pretty darn hot here to. Despite that, I do not water a ton. I move a drip line bubbler (which only runs about 15-20 mins per day) from one plant to the other every 3 days or so. I think a lot of people don't get enough sun on their plants and/or water too much.

Where do you have your plants? Mine are full southern exposure where they get a ton of sun all day long. And it gets pretty darn hot here to. Despite that, I do not water a ton. I move a drip line bubbler (which only runs about 15-20 mins per day) from one plant to the other every 3 days or so. I think a lot of people don't get enough sun on their plants and/or water too much.

I meant because of the height. I was thinking of doing two hop plants, each in their own wine barrel planter on the patio, they would get the afternoon sun, but only have about 10'-12' to go up. Maybe they can grow horizontally along the trellis.

This year has been very good for my first years. I decided to try the power pole guy wires on all six to see how that worked out. The centennial at my house is about 14ft. and is burring nicely. The newport (also here) got dug up early, died at the growth tip, but is still covering ground and should be back next year. The wilamette and golding are at a friend's house and he doesn't mow or take very good care of his property, but they are looking like they'd take over the power pole with proper care. The other plant on premisis (Zues) is about seven feet tall and is pretty bushy and is making some pretty large burrs. The last first year guy wire plant is a sterling that is at my boss' house and I haven't been there in a while. He told me that it's about 16 feet tall and throwing sidearms so I should get some harvest from that.

Should be a good compliment to my three second years and the mature cascade that I split up this year and has a maze of bines/sidearms/burrs.

This is the S@#t Watching my first years bud. I'm in P.E.I so I'm a little behind you guys weather wise but I'm 10' as of today. Just found a spot in Halifax to get some Grains an Just finished DIY Keggerator and is running nicely. Drinking a freshly poured pint of Jillians Fancy(My own Chocolate Oatmeal Stout) as I type this. Hows that for talent. If this hobby keeps going this good I'll be single in no time.

Cheers Guys
I love this site.

Harvested my first year bines the last 2 days, consisting of Nugget, Fuggle and Willamette. The Cascades need another week or 2 so they're still hanging. Results wet volume were 4 gal of Nugget, 3 gal of Nugget and 2 gal of big, honkin Willamette. These were planted in my old giant pumpkin patch that had 1 foot of leave on top for 2 years before they rotted in...

I have first year Cascade and Chinook. They both have good cones. I'm guessing I'll end up with..... maybe 4ozs of Chinook and 2-3 ozs of Cascade. watch out next year.

1/2 of the first year cones I pulled from 7 plants.

They are grouped by plant. The big pile is the willamette. I left all the smaller buds on the bine and I am hoping that they will grow bigger.

DSCN0798.jpg

Back