What do you think this is? Yellow on the outside of leaf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of my first year hops have some signs of something happening and I am not sure what is happening.

Take a look at these pics.

This is a leaf from my Willamette which is my strongest grower, but the lower part of the plant has quite a few leafs like this one
P1040938.JPG

This is my centennial and is only about 4 inches tall and has been like that for the last month and a half
P1040939.JPG

They are on a drip system (1 GPH) and get 8-10 minutes, 3 times a day so about a half gallon. Is this too much? It is hot here, been hovering between 90 and 100+ lately and going to get worse as summer comes.

When I planted I mixed in compost with the soil about a foot deep and like I mentioned these are only 2 out of 5 that are above ground right now. The other 3 are doing just fine, well as far as their leafs.

It could be it's lacking calcium but I would pick up a soil tester to see. Also try one of those meters to see if it's too wet or too dry.
Wood ashes would give both iron and calcium to the soil.

It could be it's lacking calcium but I would pick up a soil tester to see. Also try one of those meters to see if it's too wet or too dry.

That is what I gathered from the homebrewers garden book. They said you could add a limestone (don't remember the specific kind) or wood ashes which I have around so I added some the other day but wasn't sure how much to add. Anyways, we will see what happens.

Should I pull off the bad leaves or let them go?

My cascade is doing that as well. As far as adding calcium goes (maybe a dumb question) could I just crush up some tums (antacid tablets) and sprinkle on top of the soil?

Looks like the beginnings of Potassium deficiency but, that doesn;t mean you need to boost potassium. It could just mean what availabel is bound up in the soil by pH or salinity.

And we thought water chemistry was the hardest part of brewing.

That is what I gathered from the homebrewers garden book. They said you could add a limestone (don't remember the specific kind) or wood ashes which I have around so I added some the other day but wasn't sure how much to add. Anyways, we will see what happens.

Should I pull off the bad leaves or let them go?

I've read that some people trim off the lower leaves anyway but I'm not sure if it matters or not.

So what about the Centennial? It sprouted days after planting in late March and quickly grew the 3-4" that it is still at now 2 months later.

I think I may be watering too much and turned off the water for today even though they got hit with some sprinkler water this morning they will go without the drip for today and I will check them out tomorrow.

I don't know if I would change the irrigation schedule. Have you tried sticking your finger in the dirt to feel whether is moist or dry? Considering the temperatures you've mentionned, it sounds like they would need the water. For example, my hops are on a 4GPH drip system for 15 min twice a day. So they get about 2 gallons of water a day and they haven't exhibited the browning of the edges. So I would feel up the dirt and unless it feels soggy, I would continue watering and look at other possibilities of the cause of the browning.

I have 8 plants all first years and this has happened to the 2 Fuggle plants. I have checked the pH and it is within normal ranges. I dug down into the soil of these two particular plants and they were holding water, poor drainage apparently. The other six did not have water in the soil just nice nad moist. So at this point I am attributing it to over watering. Any one else's thoughts???

Back