Quick CFC Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am finally going to piece together my March pump/CFC/Thrumometer system that I bought several months ago. After searching through various posts for ideas (love the tool box approach, may have to steal that) I can't tell for sure whether just using the ball valve on my BK will be effective for throttling the wort to optimize the final temperature. Will this work or do I need to put a ball valve after the pump to throttle the output instead?

At this point the system would be BK with ball valve/March Pump with the input nipple facing up/Counter Flow Chiller/Thrumometer/Fermenter. I also plan on sanitizing it by first plugging it onto my HLT filled with Starsan and recirculating a couple gallons. I can't simply recirc the boiling wort as the thrumometer can't handle that high of temps.

I would recommend throttling the flow on the output side of the pump exclusively. Restricting the intake could cause cavitation / loss of prime / and hot side aeration..

JT

I would recommend valves on BOTH sides, but as JAMIET mentions, only control the flow from the output.

This is if you have QD's so that you can "trap" the fluid on between the valves (in the pump) when changing hoses to prevent priming issues.

Thanks, searching through other posts, now I'm wondering if I need some sort of bleeder valve to prime it as well.

I use a bleeder valve to ease the priming procedure and yes, put the flow control valve (and the bleeder valve) on the output side of the pump. I find the thrumometers to be too restrictive for use with my CFC. They only have a 1/4" ID which is like pushing liquid through a soda straw. Not fast enough for my liking.

Back