Question about Homebrew Laws

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramarok

Reaction score
I may be relocating to the Lawton/Fort Sill area in the next 6 months and was wondering what the whole situation is with OK home brewing laws for personal use as they seem really confusing. I know that I will have to file for a permit/license (couldn't find a link to the free license on the ABLE website), but I also saw something on the AHA site about only being able to make 3.2ABW beers. This would remove the ability to make over half of the beer styles in the BJCP guidelines!

For home brewers is this part pretty much ignored or do you make sure to stay "legal" for the sake of entering local competitions? Does ABLE even bother with home brewers as far as compliance?

Sorry if these are "old news" questions, but for someone moving in from Texas, where home brewing laws match the federal laws, these caveats seem really strange to me.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

I'm pretty close to Lawton myself and the laws are very confusing!! I filled for the permit and it wasn't a big deal, only costs you a stamp and they mail back the permit. You are supposed to do that annually. I don't exactly stick to the 3.2% standards and have never had anyone come by to check. A lot of the people i know that also brew here don't have permits or had never heard of needing them. Here is a link to the permit, you have to download it and send it off.

Back