My first all grain brew, BIAB method, with pics...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaddyb

Reaction score
Ok so I decided, after a year and some change of extract brewing, that I would finally jump to all grain. I decided the BIAB method seemed like an easy way to jump in and get a feel for it.

Im doing a 2.5 gallon batch of surly bender clone (brown ale)

Got all my stuff ready.
20120304_124940.jpg

20120304_125024.jpg

Got my mini fermenter and boil off vessel soaking.
20120304_125048.jpg

I got a vegetable steamer for the bottom of the boil kettle
20120304_125121.jpg

Got my 5 gallon paint strainer in the pot and ready to go
20120304_133432.jpg

As the water was warming up to temp, I decided it was a good time for a beer. What more fitting than the beer I'm trying to duplicate.
20120304_134603.jpg

Got it up to temp and the grains all in
20120304_134508.jpg

20120304_144524.jpg

I mashed for 75 minutes, then mashed out.
20120304_134227.jpg

20120304_134939.jpg

Meanwhile I heated some water in a second kettle to sparge the grains.
20120304_141701.jpg

Grains out
20120304_152507.jpg

Bringing it to a boil.
20120304_154752.jpg

Then boiled for 60 min.
20120304_154722.jpg

With ten minutes left in the boil, I threw the cooler in to get it sanitized.
20120304_163750.jpg

Hooked all the lines up, usually I just run a line right back to the sink, but my septic system is frozen, and not draining like it is supposed to, so I had to be ghetto and run it out the door, into the driveway.
20120304_165438.jpg

My picture taking got kinda bad at this point, so here is the beer in the fermenter, in its final resting place for the next few weeks.

20120304_174722.jpg

Overall everything went really well, and this method was very easy. Really the only thing I screwed up (at least that I know of) was my hop additions. but that was my own fault. :(

blence said:
Super helpful. What does the veggie steamer do?

I'm guessing the veggie steamer helps keep direct heat off the grains while applying heat to adjust mash temp?

Very nice. Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy seeing other people's brewing processes. It helps get me through all those brewless days!

Although I am jealous of that kettle, and also that you can get Surly beers. Always wanted to try one, guess I'll just have to settle for a NB kit. Cheers!

One thing I might check on is that the dial thermometer is accurate at mash temperature. I can see by your picture that it is right on at boil but that doesn't necessarily mean it is right on at mash temp. A few degrees off during the mash really changes the character of the beer.

One thing I might check on is that the dial thermometer is accurate at mash temperature. I can see by your picture that it is right on at boil but that doesn't necessarily mean it is right on at mash temp. A few degrees off during the mash really changes the character of the beer.

How exactly would one check calibration? That is probably a good idea.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy seeing other people's brewing processes. It helps get me through all those brewless days!

Although I am jealous of that kettle, and also that you can get Surly beers. Always wanted to try one, guess I'll just have to settle for a NB kit. Cheers!

Thanks, I always enjoy peoples pics of their various endeavors, and they helped me pull the trigger on going all grain. I'm sure I could have been more specific in some areas, but oh well.

As far as the kettle, its just a basic cheapie that came with my original kit. I just drilled a couple holes and stuck a valve and gauge in. The valve is a must.

check it against another thermometer. fill the pot with enough water to cover the thermometer probe, then throw in every thermometer you have (ones that are designed for those temps anyways.) They should all read the same.

check it against another thermometer. fill the pot with enough water to cover the thermometer probe, then throw in every thermometer you have (ones that are designed for those temps anyways.) They should all read the same.

Lol, simple enough!

How exactly would one check calibration? That is probably a good idea.

I bought a glass lab grade thermometer. I don't like to leave it in the mash because I tend to break thing made of glass (clumsy) but I can grab a quick check on strike temp and initial mash temp and then stick my metal stem dial thermometer in and leave it.

Sorry about the ice comment, I use a stem thermometer that's 0-220- looked at the pic of yours after posting and thought :eek: oops,...

amingo said:
I'm guessing the veggie steamer helps keep direct heat off the grains while applying heat to adjust mash temp?

Thanks for intuitively answering this. I was wondering myself. Do any commercial products exist for this purpose or is it only DIY? I'll be doing my first BIAB on my blichmann & glad I stumbled onto this before I torched my grains.

Thanks for intuitively answering this. I was wondering myself. Do any commercial products exist for this purpose or is it only DIY? I'll be doing my first BIAB on my blichmann & glad I stumbled onto this before I torched my grains.

I measure the water I intend to mash with and then use an online calculator to find the strike temperature, the temperature of water that when mixed with the grains will give me the proper mash temp. Once I reach that strike temp I turn the heat off, put the bag in and stir in the grains. Cover the pot and insulate it with something and forget it. After you pull the bag out you can turn the heat back on. That way you don't need anything on the bottom of the pot.:rockin:

Back