How much dark wheat is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jat147

Reaction score
Hi,

Not concentrating hard enough while ordering grains has left me with a huge sack of dark, toasted wheat instead of a small bag! :mad:

I realise that using lots of it is no good as it gives a very bitter flavour, but I'm unsure just what proportion I could get away with if I were to make a dark wheat beer?
Anyone made a dunkelweizen this way? How much is too much??

Many thanks in advance,
James.

Can you be more specific? I'm assuming you're not talking about Weyermann dark wheat malt, which is ~20L. Sounds like chocolate wheat malt to me, in which case I would say keep it to around 5%.

What would a greater quantity do?

I'm trying to wrap my head around a dark chocolate flavored wheat beer.

Some things don't seem like they should go together like peanut-butter and mayo.

Does anyone have a BJCP style critique of one of these?

I thought that a dunkelweiss like the kind i'd enjoyed in Austria would be the outcome of using dark wheat - i was so wrong.
Even at 5% it ruined the batch, with its massive bitterness i'd liken it to patent black malt like you'd use in a stout - how much black malt is too much, not much!
In future i'd go with mostly wheat, and darken it with some chocolate malt instead

I use a pound of the chocolate wheat malt in my robust porter. It is one tasty beverage and many judges have agreed. PM me if you want the recipe.

jat147 said:
I thought that a dunkelweiss like the kind i'd enjoyed in Austria would be the outcome of using dark wheat - i was so wrong.
Even at 5% it ruined the batch, with its massive bitterness i'd liken it to patent black malt like you'd use in a stout - how much black malt is too much, not much!
In future i'd go with mostly wheat, and darken it with some chocolate malt instead

You've never used black malt in quantity then if you are saying that. Don't believe me look at Deschutes beers a ton of black patent malt in Obsidian Stout and everyone loves that one! Don't knock it till you try it.

Here it is more or less.

For 6 gal batch
Shoot for an OG of no lower than 1.065 or so. you can adjust the base malt to your efficiency.

10.0 lbs Maris Otter, I like Thomas Fawcett
1.0 lbs weyermann light Munich
1.25 lbs Simpsons crystal 50-60L
1.0 lbs chocolate wheat

Hops UK Fuggle @ 60mins to 33 ibus

I use two yeasts depending upon flavor profile I want.

WY1968 if using mash at 151F
US-05 mash at 155F

You want an FG of around 1.018 or so but no lower.

This is one great beer. It is not burnt or acrid in the least. If you like robust porters this is a great one.

If u brew it let me know how u like it

You've never used black malt in quantity then if you are saying that. Don't believe me look at Deschutes beers a ton of black patent malt in Obsidian Stout and everyone loves that one! Don't knock it till you try it.

Yeah, good point - instead of tipping my Dunkelweiss down the drain I should have just renamed it Austrian Stout and learned to love it. ;)

Here it is more or less.

For 6 gal batch
Shoot for an OG of no lower than 1.065 or so. you can adjust the base malt to your efficiency.

10.0 lbs Maris Otter, I like Thomas Fawcett
1.0 lbs weyermann light Munich
1.25 lbs Simpsons crystal 50-60L
1.0 lbs chocolate wheat

Hops UK Fuggle @ 60mins to 33 ibus

I use two yeasts depending upon flavor profile I want.

WY1968 if using mash at 151F
US-05 mash at 155F

You want an FG of around 1.018 or so but no lower.

This is one great beer. It is not burnt or acrid in the least. If you like robust porters this is a great one.

If u brew it let me know how u like it

Thank you.

I like that it doesn't taste burnt.

Not to high-jack the thread, but have you had "Great Northern Porter" by Summit? That is one of my winter favorites.

I have yes and I really like the Summit otter as well. It is very underrated IMO.

Back