UDS question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schaefer916

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for some help. I have tried to search but could not find any answers.

I am finishing up building my UDS but I stopped when I realized that the plans that I was using did not include anywhere for a water pan. Is a water pan not needed with a UDS or are the plans that I am using flawed? :confused:

A water pan in completely optional. Most people don't use them because they don't like their food to steam. If you want something that will give a similar effect without the steam you could add a heat diffuser.

As long as it is low and slow and temp is under control not at all. You need to know the temp at the grate though. Make sure that is where you thermo is placed. Also the lowest cooking grate need to be at least 24" above the coal basket.

Makes sense. Thank you.

One more question if you dont mind.

Does the size of my coal basket matter? I was able to get a used grate from an old Webber but the smaller one was broken so I used the upper one and it is 17.5 inches end to end. Is that going to be too large of a basket?

Probably not but I always use the replacement charcoal grate for a weber. They are much sturdier.

Do you have any UDS kits left. I am from Missouri and am seeking a drum, then will need a kit or just purchase an already built one. I would rather build my own. Let me know. My e-mail is [email protected]

Latest posts

Back