Dry Hop Mistake???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJtarheel

Reaction score
In my haste last night, I dry-hopped my 18 day-old fermenting American Pale Ale with 1 oz. of Willamette pellets. A couple of hours later, I read the Papazian book that suggests dry-hopping with 1/4 oz of hops. Do I need to "fish out" my weighted down hopping bag? I love hops, but, is this over the top? I plan to bottle on the 22nd or 23rd day (5 days after dry-hopping). Thanks for your advice.....again!

You're good. 1oz/5gal is a touch high for my tastes, but well within the range of normal. You aren't extracting any bitterness, so it won't make the beer undrinkable. It's just one of those things you have to do a few things to get a sense for. If it comes out and you find it to grassy and aromatic, you can tone it back next time. Or, it's just as likely that you'll discover that you want to do even more dry hopping next time.

In any case, if you find you've got too much hop aroma you can always just let the beer age for a month or two. A lot of the hop oils (particularly dry hop oils) will drop out of suspension and mellow the beer out.

It's all subjective... how much hoppiness do you like?

I routinely dry-hop my Two Hearted Ale clone with 1oz of Centennial hops. It's a hoppy beer but it's not over-the-top hoppy.

I think if you like hoppy beers then you'll be fine with 1oz.

It's all subjective... how much hoppiness do you like?

I routinely dry-hop my Two Hearted Ale clone with 1oz of Centennial hops. It's a hoppy beer but it's not over-the-top hoppy.

I think if you like hoppy beers then you'll be fine with 1oz.
Thanks all for the assurance that this will work out well. This is my first attempt at brewing. Perhaps I am trying to do too much with this first batch. I did take a hydrometer sample last night and it tastes pretty good. Can't wait to rty it in a couple weeks.

Seven: My third batch will be a Two-Hearted Ale clone. Someone forwarded me a recipe from this forum. Looking forward to it. I just discovered that beer and think its great!!!

Back