Changes in my life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, today is the day! I'm having so many mixed feelings- excitement mixed with sadness mostly. My only daughter (my oldest child) is gone to college. It's so hard- this is my partner in cribbage and gin, as well as my friend and musical-watching buddy. She LOVES West Side Story and Gigi almost as much as I do. I'm so excited for her, but OMG do I miss her already.

She's been so important in my life for nearly 19 years and this is a big adjustment for me. The good news is that she's not too far away, and we will have lunch a couple of times before Christmas break. She also took way too much stuff (but not her winter coat or boots), so I will be seeing her soon to take her some needed items and pick up unneeded items.

DSCF0413.JPG

DSCF0414.JPG

If that small pile of stuff is all she took, you'll be seeing her REALLY soon. Not to worry, Yoop!

Um, NO. That is the stuff that didn't fit in her Dad's pick up truck.

Thanks, BK for the nice words. Even though I dyed my hair dark a few weeks ago, I noticed just now that we still look quite a bit alike in that picture. Same slouch, same head tilt, same mannerisms. She's a great kid. She already has plans for this weekend at school (one is a canoe trip) with Campus Crusade for Christ. She's been on 3 mission trips and is hoping to be an elementary teacher on the mission field, particularly in Latin America.

Did you bottle up a few cases of beer for her? Don't want her drinking swill at college you know.

What?! You didn't send her off with a couple of full cornies? How do you expect her to make any friends? :eek:

From everything you've told us over the years, it sounds like you've done a great job at raising a really good kid. Best of luck to her, I'm sure she'll do great, and I'm sure she'll be back soon enough (lugging all of those bags, filled with dirty laundry).

Awww Yoop...I know you have mixed feelings..Proud that she's going away to college, and said that she's not going to be a daily presence in your life.

I take it you didn't drive here, since you are here...so that means you can get druck and start measuring her bedroom for your new brewery :D

Seriously though, you'll both be fine, if you have a great relationship full of mutual love and respect now (which it sounds like you do) then you'll have an even better relationship, as she matures and become more independant. As one facet of your relationship closes another one opens...but the love is constant.

You'll just have more things to talk about now!

Hey did you notice that you two tilt your heads in the exact same way when you pose for pictures??? It's uncanny...

Hey Yoop, congrats and condolences :) I know it must be hard but that is just great she is getting out on her own and into school. I'm also very glad to see she is getting into Campus Crusades. I was in a different college ministry but those groups really help you stay on the right track through college.

Gigi? Really? So you are the only ones who watched that film eh? That is sadder than your girl ofta' college.

Ahhhh college days. I think I remember those.

Aaaawwww.

Congratumiserations Yoop.

Minus side:- You will miss her
Plus side:- You get her back later all new and improved
Minus side:- The house will seem too big without her.
Plus side:- You get to run around in it naked with a glass in your hand. :)

Holy cow! I think y'all borrowed our dog and my daughter's packing skills. We haul ours off of to college tomorrow. I'm already working out what won't fit in the two cars we're taking. We will miss her, but it is also time for her to start learning to live on her own. Perhaps she could start by accepting the fact that a girl who hasn't changed her own sheets in 18 years probably doesn't need three color coordinating sets :rolleyes: (with matching towels and shower caddy, oy).

Congratulations Yoop. Some time tomorrow evening I'll have a big glass of the cream/blonde ale I brewed from your recipe (try Kölsch yeast, it's wonderful in this beer) and we can toast our daughters and their new adventures. My wife and I are envious. We were looking at her schedule and all of the cool activities they have planned for freshmen this weekend and decided that we needed to go back to college. And do it right this time.

Chad

It gets easier over time. I just took my daughter back to college for her second year. She's in an apartment now. She wanted to take a Better Bottle, carboy cap, airlock, & Auto-Siphon with her along with about 10 pounds of dextrose. Luckily, we could not fit those items in the car after she loaded it with all the stuff she took.

On the bright side, your baby is not 1,200 miles away right? It's now a neat place to visit.

Yoop - I've been there a couple of times myself. It's a hard thing to do. Here's a hug from across the miles (or as close as I could get to one)....:mug:

Now, go and try to have a good day!!

Yoop - I've been there a couple of times myself. It's a hard thing to do. Here's a hug from across the miles (or as close as I could get to one)....:mug:

Now, go and try to have a good day!!

OK, That's enough!!! I could handle the poor lady having to deal with the empty nest syndrome. I could handle that she mentioned two outrageous chick flick musicals in the SAME POST.......But you, my friend, with the "Hug from across the miles" comment have put me over the top!

She can't take any more Cap'n! The warp drive is about to explode! Ye have ta break out the whisky!!!:rockin:

Yoop,

Best to you and yours! None of life's transitions are easy, but you've given that gal all she needs to do well and more. Sit back and watch her fly!

hugs!!!

I remember my mom missing me a lot for the first few month when I left for college, she used to make me awesome dinners when I would come home, but by the end of the first year she would look at me and give me the look like what are you doing here again? Funny thing is I think our relationship became a whole lot better when I left, not that it was bad when I lived with my parents, but we acted more like old friends after a while. Yoop you'll be OK and if anything you'll be super proud of your daughters accomplishments in college.

Holy cow! I think y'all borrowed our dog and my daughter's packing skills. We haul ours off of to college tomorrow. I'm already working out what won't fit in the two cars we're taking. We will miss her, but it is also time for her to start learning to live on her own. Perhaps she could start by accepting the fact that a girl who hasn't changed her own sheets in 18 years probably doesn't need three color coordinating sets :rolleyes: (with matching towels and shower caddy, oy).

Chad
These kids need to learn to pack!
It wasn't that long ago when I went off to college and packed everything into a 2door subcompact, including a stereo and computer.
My sisters went off to college with everything for both of them packed into a mini-van along with the whole family of 6.
Kids sure are different these days. And it hasn't been 2 decades yet since I started off to school.

Congratulations on getting the first one off to college Yoop. Mine starts school next year (kindergarten :))

I guess I have a few years.

Craig

I cried like a baby all the way home from MIZZOU when we dropped off my oldest her first year.

Cried a little more when I walked past her emptied out room when we got home.

Cried the next evening when she was noticeable absent while we were watching some tv.

Cried for my youngest daughter (then 9 years old) who missed her oldest sister terribly.

It got easier and the adjustment seemed natural before too long. We were evolving into empty nesters.

Then one day later in the season I burst into uncontrollable crying...when I got the bill from the college.

Congrats Yoop on helping her to her next stage in life. I feel your pain.

Well atleast she is living on campus in order to complete college, much easier to focus that way. Otherwise you end up being 27 years old and a senior.

Hang in there Yooper. She'll be home before you know it. I bet she's missing you as well.

Well, she's only called three times since this morning. She got a cool Spanish text for Spanish 201, apparently, and wanted to read it to me.

She's on the third floor, so her dad (yes!- considering he didn't help with tuition or anything else) helped her carry all that crap, including my former fermentation fridge.

Thanks for all the encouraging words- it gave me enough strength to walk into her room and smile instead of cry. I just wish I had a few more years of her high school times- we really had a great ride.

Congrats Yoop! It looks and sounds like you ahve done a fine job and she will be fine. You on the other hand may need some additional adult beverages for the next few days :D

Ah the kiddies grow up so fast, don't they? I've seen photos of your kids before, and it's creepy how they start to look more and more like you all the time. Times like these are tough, but you know it's for the best. Try as you might, you can't hold on to them forever. (((Hugs of encouragement))) She will be fine there, I promise.

OhioBrit, Yooper's son may not approve of her running around in the buff. ;)

Congrats, Yoop! Won't be long and she'll be coming home with laundry. ;)

Man...and I got nervous when my oldest (4-1/2) headed off to preschool. :drunk: Just wasn't used to the idea of him not being with me or my wife primarily. Won't be long and he'll be heading off to college too.

So, you gave her an old fermentation fridge. Did you give her a temperature controller, too, or is she only going to be making lagers?

good stuff! she'll be fine yoop!

i remember the first year my folks took me to college, then the next year they said, find a car, and drive yourself...:D

When my only child left home, I left home too about 2 weeks later. Best move I ever made! :D

It would seem that neither of us could leave Mrs OhioBrit Mk1 quickly enough. A waste of 23 years apart from the daughter part!

Edit:- Ooops! I'm not suggesting that might happen to you Yoop!! :eek:

So, you gave her an old fermentation fridge. Did you give her a temperature controller, too, or is she only going to be making lagers?

Bird, you just wait until Cassie leaves home. I'm going to give you the same ****! But, I have to admit, you're cracking me up!

When my only child left home, I left home too about 2 weeks later. Best move I ever made! :D

It would seem that neither of us could leave Mrs OhioBrit Mk1 quickly enough. A waste of 23 years apart from the daughter part!

Edit:- Ooops! I'm not suggesting that might happen to you Yoop!! :eek:

OB- I left Mr.Yooper#1 in 1998. The only good thing he ever did was produce those awesome kids. And drive this one to college, since he didn't contribute even a penny to her college expenses.

Thanks for all the good words and hugs! I resisted drunk dialing her last night, and feel great today about her future. Thanks for "listening!"

I know for my mother it was a difficult transition when I left. I'm the youngest (one older sister) and I moved nearly 2 1/2 hours away. Though it's not that far, it was far enough that it made me miss home as much as they missed me.

I'm sure she'll meet some great people. Where is she going if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like a catholic university from the activities that you explained.

Stay strong :)

I have roughly 9 years before I'll have to deal with this, but just thinking about it already makes me sad. Take comfort in knowing that you raised her well and that even though she's not at home, she's still your baby girl.

Trust me Yoop, your relationship will only get stronger.

My kids finally acknowledged my supreme intelligence surrounding the meaning of life, the universe...and all that stuff, after they had moved out.

It appears I am not as big a dufus as they suggested I was when they were in high school :D

Back