Did heat kill them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenb

Reaction score
Ok, so yesterday we had record breaking temperatures here in The Portland area (about 100f here at my house). My 1st year Centennial hops did not do so well. I watered it and in the morning ( it looked like it was doing well with nice green leaves), but by the time i got home in the evening, my little 1 foot high hop plant had mostly wilted shriveled up leaves and did not look too good.
I watered it again. Checked it this morning and it looks the same. Almost all the leaves withered/curled/dry....Could the heat have damaged it that much? Is there anything i can do or can the heat cause them to bite the dust when so young?
Today is hot again.....not as hot but 90f..watered them this morning......can the heat kill them when they are this young and small...this fast?

I would imagine that one day of heat shouldn't have hurt them. Yakima has weather that hot for weeks on end, and they thrive there. Are they in the ground or in pots? Either way, maybe the water isn't getting down far enough to the roots where it needs to be, and they aren't actually getting enough water.

Just speculating, hope they come back.

The Yakima valley area consistently gets that hot in the summer (god I hate Crackima) so chances are your hops will come back. What if you took some screening to protect it from the high amount of light this week? If Portland is going to be anything like Seattle the temps should come back down during the week.

i got 9 1st year hops growing in pots in portland and all of them seemed to do pretty well with the heat. keep gving it water and hope it comes back.

Are they growing up something that gets hotter the outside temperature?
I had the bright idea to have hops grow up black iron rods-- b/c the rods were 10 feet tall and frees-- but they attracted so much heat you could fry an egg on them and they burnt the living daylights out of vines... Had to paint the rods white and get the vines away from them...

Are they growing up something that gets hotter the outside temperature?
I had the bright idea to have hops grow up black iron rods-- b/c the rods were 10 feet tall and frees-- but they attracted so much heat you could fry an egg on them and they burnt the living daylights out of vines... Had to paint the rods white and get the vines away from them...
No, the bines were only 6 inches to 1 foot high. Now a week later and lots of rain, the few tiny leaves left are still brown and wilted and the bines are drooping over.....it may come back, but I am not holding out much hope.....

They sound like they are fried. The root system of a new hop plant is fragile. I lost almost half of my rhizomes the first year.

They sound like they are fried. The root system of a new hop plant is fragile. I lost almost half of my rhizomes the first year.
Just an fyi to everyone for future reference. 1 day of 101f heat in the Pac Northwest most certainly can kill a 1st year rhizome. 1 of my zomes with a 10 inch high bine died, the other zome barely survived and is only about 8 inches high now in August..

we had the same heat wave here in Boise, I had 10 bines that were decently established with two goldings that were planted late. The goldings were each about 6 inches high and both were dead by the end of the heat wave, everything else fared fine.

Latest posts

Back