hey I just need a lil help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerpower12

Reaction score
I live in Tacoma wa an I wanted to know what hops good to grow here in Washington but I don't want to do outdoor so is there anyway I get them now or do I have to wait
Thanks for the help

> I wanted to know what hops good to grow here in Washington
All of them. The pacific northwest is one of the best places in the world to grow hops. Give them fertile, well draining soil and lots of light - They will do great.

> but I don't want to do outdoor
Um, hops grow 20+ feet in a single season. It's been done, but trying to grow them indoors is really difficult, especially considering you are in the perfect area to plant them outside...

> I get them now or do I have to wait
You can get crowns now from places like GreatLakeshops now, or you can wait until spring when rhizomes are plentiful. It's up to you.

However, since you winters are mild - you should consider putting them in the ground soon. Planting crowns in fall (in the PNW) gives you a head start for the first year.

> I wanted to know what hops good to grow here in Washington
All of them. The pacific northwest is one of the best places in the world to grow hops. Give them fertile, well draining soil and lots of light - They will do great.

> but I don't want to do outdoor
Um, hops grow 20+ feet in a single season. It's been done, but trying to grow them indoors is really difficult, especially considering you are in the perfect area to plant them outside...

> I get them now or do I have to wait
You can get crowns now from places like GreatLakeshops now, or you can wait until spring when rhizomes are plentiful. It's up to you.

However, since you winters are mild - you should consider putting them in the ground soon. Planting crowns in fall (in the PNW) gives you a head start for the first year.

+1 all of this.

So I found couple starts at local nursery and there brown is that become there in a dormeant stage is it ok to plant or should wait keep them in the pot they came in need help

> and there brown is that become there in a dormeant stage

Yes, this time of year hops are dormant in the PNW. This means that any remaining vines will be brown and shriveled up. You could probably keep them in the pot, but if you have the room - go ahead and plant them right away. They will do better in the ground over the winter. Just be sure to use fertile, well draining soil.

What varieties did you pick up?

So I found couple starts at local nursery and there brown is that become there in a dormeant stage is it ok to plant or should wait keep them in the pot they came in need help

Nursery hops are often ornamental or tea hops. Unless they are named brewing varieties there is no point in growing them.

Back