Schwarzbier Batter-Up Schwarzbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egravy81

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP830 German Lager and WLP940 Mexican Lager
Yeast Starter
2L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Decant, add 2L fresh wort 2nd feeding, chill and decant
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 Days @ 34 degrees F
Tasting Notes
Clean, Malty, Crisp, minimal roast with subtle hop character
There’s nothing like a dark lager to accompany the start of baseball season! Of course, I should have brewed this two months ago to have been ready for Opening Day but I had several high gravity ales in my ferm chamber and wasn’t about to rush those bad boys :)

10 Gallon Batch (post-boil volume approximately 11 gallons)

8 lbs Munich Malt
8 lbs German Pale
1.5 lbs Midnight Wheat

Double Decoction mash schedule:
Protein Rest: 120⁰F (20 minutes)
Saccharification Rest: 148⁰F (45 minutes)
Mash Out: 158⁰F (15 minutes)

60-minute boil

2 oz Perle FWH
2 oz Perle @ 30 minutes

OG: 1.046
Split batches of yeast both with 2L starter, decanted and re-fed to 2L fresh wort, then chilled and decanted before pitching:
WLP830 German Lager Yeast
WLP940 Mexican Lager Yeast
Chilled wort to 48⁰F before pitching, held at 48⁰F 24 hours, ramped up to 52⁰F and held for one week, ramped up to 62⁰F over the next week (about 2⁰ per day) and held at 62⁰ F two days before racking to secondary and cold crashing to 34⁰F. SG at transfer = 1.008

Comments:
I am planning on lagering for at least one month just transferred this on Sunday 4/21.

I have been using midnight wheat in all kinds of different brews lately and I am very happy with the results – lots of color with mild roast flavor. If you don’t want to use midnight wheat (or don’t have access) try dehulled carafa of some kind in which case I would back it down to a pound (or less) for 10 gallons and probably add some caramunich or cara aroma to round out the malt flavor.

0.5 lb melanoidin malt would be a good addition for anyone not willing/able to decoction mash, in which case I’d go with a single infusion mash at 148⁰F for 90 minutes.

In terms of the yeast selection, both the WLP830 and the WLP940 are clean and fairly fast for lager yeasts which is all I was looking for since I did not want to have to lager these for more than one month if possible. With the huge starters I pitched 2 weeks was plenty of time in the primary.

At transfer the WLP830 batch tasted clean and malty with a very slight roast flavor. The WLP940 batch was crisp and slightly more perceived bitterness than the WLP830, but very similar overall.

I’ll update the post once I transfer to kegs and carb.

Here's a pic of the WLP830 version:

image-1919342041.jpg

Just tapped a batch of this I made with WLP940. I somehow got unexpectedly high efficiency and an O.G. of 1.050. I didn't want to dilute cause I already had more than a full keg wort of wort and didn't want to dump any. Of course this makes the beer a little more on the malty side, but I like my beer that way so it works out. It's gotten lots of compliments from friends. I think I will dial the midnight wheat back a little next time as it imparts quite a bit of roasty flavor that I find overshadows the lager character. This is a great recipe that I will definitely brew again.

Glad to hear imrook! I agree that the midnight wheat should probably be dialed back to 3/4-1 lb. I actually like the WLP940 version more than the WLP830. I have a few more ales in the pipeline right now but will be brewing this one again soon.

I have not - recently I brewed this again and cut the midnight wheat down to one pound added at lauter and it cut the roast down considerably. I only used the Mexican Lager yeast this time, too though it was more for expediency's sale than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back