To pitch or not to pitch...mold is my question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgohring

Reaction score
Probably just being overly cautious, but would like some thoughts on whether the film on my starter is the beginning stages of a pellicle forming. Just made this starter on Tuesday night and noticed the film and slightly odd bubbles on the top this morning. Brewing tomorrow morning, so I have time to get new yeast, but probably not for a starter. Hoping this is nothing and still pitchable. Probably just worrying, but would rather not start off on the wrong foot.

The yeast is 3711 if that matters at all.

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Probably just worrying, but would rather not pitch a starter that's in the developing stages of mold growth.

Smells like it should...yeasty!

My main concern was the chunks of film on the top. Kind of looks like the start of a pellicle forming like in wild fermentations. Figured it was probably nothing, but thought I'd get a second opinion.

If it doesn't continue to grow/get worse by pitching time tomorrow, it's going for a wort swim!

Sounds like I've confirmed that I indeed worry too much. Glad to hear that there's nothing wrong with the starter. Thanks everyone!

I don't do wilds, but I have never heard of a pellicle forming that quickly. Just yeast on the surface and surface tension.

I don't do wilds either, but hope to someday. I agree that the chances of a pellicle forming that quickly is probably pretty slim, but thought checking on here couldn't hurt. I've brewed for a while now, but frequently run across something that I've not encountered before.

Honestly I have done a lot of starters and none of them looked like that. Every starter I have done has had a clear top. How long has this been sitting? I'd hate to see a batch ruined by a bad starter.

Begin2Brew said:
Honestly I have done a lot of starters and none of them looked like that. Every starter I have done has had a clear top. How long has this been sitting? I'd hate to see a batch ruined by a bad starter.

I've done quite a few starters as well and haven't seen one like that previously, hence the post with pics. I made the starter Tuesday night and took those pics this morning. Hasn't been sitting too long. Haven't been home yet to check it tonight. Hoping it's not any worse than this morning.

So here is an image of where we're at tonight, roughly 14 hours after my shots this morning. What concerns me is the powdery bubbles and the powdery film on the surface. Still undecided at this point.

photo-2-1.jpg

What should I be smelling for if it's infected? Smells like boring DME with some Belgian yeast, for the most part. Might be a tinge of paint thinner there. Perhaps I'm just thinking there is. Would it be overly noticeable if there was an infection?

Pitch it... Into some wort. Doesn't look like anything to worry about to me. What strain is it? Looks like a true top cropper like a wit strain or similar. They tend to have bubble and some film I the surface like that for weeks sometimes.

Probably yeast rafts. It looks a little funny but that would be extremely fast for a pelicle to form. And it is 3711 which I always think must be a bug as it ferments like nothing else.

It's 3711 French Saison. I'm not super familiar with yeast. I used it once over a year and a half ago with great results. Didn't make a starter on that batch.

I plan on using it tomorrow and will update once it gets into full fermentation. Fingers crossed that I end up with a tasty rye Saison and not paint thinner!

Thought it might be good to respond to this thread as the beer has been done and drinkable for quite some time now. I'm pleased to report that this starter fermented just fine without creating any off-flavors, mold, etc. Apparently, it's just an ugly yeast to look at, although I've seen a lot worse.

The beer turned out fantastic! I ended up bottling this in champaign bottles and plan to hang on to some for as long as I can stand it.

Saison.jpg

Back