Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can help you with your beer drinking problem . Send all your high alcohol beer to me and I will dispose of it properly for you . I offer this service free of charge ! Just want to help. Damn I am a good citizen .

My batch that I just tapped after sitting a few weeks in the keg...needed some time to attenuate the corn flavor.

Pretty clean flavor :D

DSCN1685.jpg

Would northern brewer be a good substitute for the hops? I assume it wouldn't matter much since their just boil hops but thought I'd ask

I must confess that this is the only beer I've brewed more than two times. (batch number 3 is sitting in fermentation camber) Great recipe...thanks for sharing.

IMG_7039.jpg

Brewed this last night as my 2nd ag batch (first was centennial). My efficiency on that batch was a terrible 63% so I upped the pale malt to 14# and I used normal rice from a rice cooker. Guess since I controlled my temps better helped since my efficiency turned out to be ~76%. Only real snafu was when I went to put my airlock in my first fermenter the grommet popped out into the wort. Reached in to grab it but gave up and let it be. Luckily I had just emptied another so had a spare lid.

I pitched one with notty and the other with safale 05.

Just cracked my first one after it has been conditioning in the bottle for about 4 weeks. Still not super clear, but SOOO easy drinking.

This is the beer I think I will be able to give to my father to get excited about my homebrews. He pretty much exclusively drinks Natty Light, or, when he has a good day of golf and comes home with a little money after beating some friends on the course, he ups it to Sam Adams Light. He has tried a few of my other beers and although he claimed he enjoyed them, I just don't think he was into the styles I had brewed. I think this will do it and will send a 12 pack home with my little brother when he comes to help me brew this weekend.

Thanks for the great (and easy, and cheap) recipe!

My cousin is a Bud light drinker and he loves my AG nut brown ale ( Deez Nuts variety ) . https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/award-winning-nut-brown-ale-376030/
Even more so is the one I can not quite remember how I did it but was American Wheat , probably Brewers Best or maybe an extract coopers or muntons . had to be one of them . I added in rain forest honey and regular honey about 2 pounds worth and DME . Very good after a couple months in bottle .
I have to get on making this cream ale it sounds so good .

Iv made this this several times but this time I used an ounce of Columbus
hops and it is very good if you like the citrisy grapefrute finish.

I'm gonna brew this this week. I have extra summit and magnum left over. Would either of these do ok with this brew? I thought about summit adjusted to these ibu's

So I am taking it this would work well as my first all-grain brew..?

Without going deep into reading 100+ pages.. Will the BIAB method work good on this one..?

So I am taking it this would work well as my first all-grain brew..?

Without going deep into reading 100+ pages.. Will the BIAB method work good on this one..?

This was my first AG brew, and I biab. Love it! Just kicked the keg on my third batch of it, need to brew more!

Mind me asking (I know it maybe deep in the 100+ pages) but

Whats are the adjustments you made for BIAB

I agree, I'm not sure what your asking about adjustments. Just follow the recipe!

I've heard of some people adding about 1 lb of base malt to account for very low efficiency with BIAB. However, if I do a very fine crush I get 75% or a little better with BIAB. Therefore I don't really think that's necessary.

As a side note, I have this recipe in primary right now. I can't wait to taste it!

I have my first gallon of this cold crashing. It's the first time I've tried to make something like a really light ale or lager in about 10 years - and my gawd, as it sits in the cold and clears...wow. It looks amazing. It's like a yeasty upside down lava lamp of beery goodness.

Thank BM and everyone on this thread for the recipe and inspiration!

I've heard of some people adding about 1 lb of base malt to account for very low efficiency with BIAB. However, if I do a very fine crush I get 75% or a little better with BIAB. Therefore I don't really think that's necessary.

As a side note, I have this recipe in primary right now. I can't wait to taste it!

I do not want to hyjack this thread but I am interested in your BIAB thing . I brew small amounts , a couple pounds or so for adding to no boil kits . I just crush them as normal and steep them in a gallon or so of water for 45 minutes and pour through a strainer into bucket . Would this be about the same end as BIAB ?

I do not want to hyjack this thread but I am interested in your BIAB thing . I brew small amounts , a couple pounds or so for adding to no boil kits . I just crush them as normal and steep them in a gallon or so of water for 45 minutes and pour through a strainer into bucket . Would this be about the same end as BIAB ?

I guess the basic principal is the same as long as your temperatures are right. I don't get the whole thing about adding an extra pound either. I have actually done that and had to eventually back off because my numbers were a little high (but what's so bad about that?). Since I got a refractometer it's so easy to monitor the mash I get 80% all the time but sometimes have to mash a little longer.

I'm going to brew this using White Labs San Francisco lager yeast. Then I got to thinking I have 50lbs of pilsen sitting around. What if I used the pilsen instead of 2row? Never done a lager before so I'm wondering what kind of difference it would make

just a note on Minute Rice . the stuff is rather pricey . i went to Aldi and got a 1 LB 12 OZ box for I think $1.65 and 14Oz for .99 . I cooked some up to see how it tasted and it was about the same as the minute rice which I think is $4.53 for 14 OZ .

Word to your mother ...

I guess the basic principal is the same as long as your temperatures are right. I don't get the whole thing about adding an extra pound either. I have actually done that and had to eventually back off because my numbers were a little high (but what's so bad about that?). Since I got a refractometer it's so easy to monitor the mash I get 80% all the time but sometimes have to mash a little longer.

I just brewed my version of a cream ale and was going to mash at 148 for 75 minutes . had it just right and decided to add a bit more hot water as it dropped a degree and went up to 154 . After topping off at 6 gallons I got 1.056 and was shooting for 1.053 so pretty close .
I am going to post my recipe to see what others think of it . Next one I am going to try this recipe as it is simple and cheaper and looks good .

Well, I brewed this yesterday. It was my very first AG brew session. I made the mistake of waiting till the last minute to cut slots in my manifold... big mistake. 4 dremel blades later, only had two pipes slotted. So I went and bought a stainless steel screen and 20 minutes later, boom, Mash-tun is done.

I made two big mistakes. One - I didn't pre-test my fittings and completely forgot to plumbers tape them, so everything leaked. Had to pull the fittings out of my stock-pot and cooler and tape em up.

Two - I did not pre-check my thermometer accuracy. The thermometer in my kettle was 10 degrees high. Which meant when I started my mash, the temps were 10 degrees to low. I ended up having to add 1.5 gallons of hot(er) water to bring it up to 154 degrees. AFTER it had sat at 144 for an hour. I have no clue how that will affect the outcome at all. But I let it set at 154 for an hour and 20 minutes too.

On the plus side, my mash-tun held temp awesome!

6 lbs - 2 row
2.5 lbs flaked corn
1 lb minute rice
3/4 oz. Willamete and Crystal @ 60.

My boil never did get "roiling", but it boiled, for 90 minutes.

The resulting wort is... nasty looking. Like frothy mud. But I chilled it, OG was 1.050 on the nose. Pitched at 60 degrees and stuck it in my closet.

Here's hoping! I'll post back when I get to drink it

not that I am any expert in the matter but I would say a low mash temp will not matter any since you raised it up. ( now we wait for the experts to chime in ) I also mashed my cream ale at 154 but beer smith said to use 148. Willamette and crystal sound tasty. My wort was also that color except when I was siphoning it into fermenter then it was almost clear .
I bet it turns out quite tasty .

Which meant when I started my mash, the temps were 10 degrees to low. I ended up having to add 1.5 gallons of hot(er) water to bring it up to 154 degrees. AFTER it had sat at 144 for an hour. I have no clue how that will affect the outcome at all. But I let it set at 154 for an hour and 20 minutes too.

You may end up with a more fermentable wort, which will leave your beet dryer. Not a bad thing for this recipe, I usually mash this beer at 148-150 which is perfect for me. What I would be more concerned with is your lack of a good boil. I'd say its about time to invest in a good outdoor burner. You can get a turkey fryer for cheap this time of year! A good rolling boil is key for good hot break, good hop utilization, and the reduction of DMS. Just my $0.02

good point on that boil . I was using a small cooker and it would not boil hard and I did not think that was a problem until I watched a video and saw the full boil going on there. I would suggest http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...ge-patio-stove-with-hose-guard/554BPHP17.html . Just like the KAB4 but with much heavier legs . 210K and is very heavy . will hold up a 120 quart pot with no problems . Boils 8 gallons of water like your stove boils 2 quarts. it is great and costs a whole lot less than the others like it . I think it was 70.00 + a bit shipped .

Any way I think your cream ale is going to taste great . Enjoy.

You may end up with a more fermentable wort, which will leave your beet dryer. Not a bad thing for this recipe, I usually mash this beer at 148-150 which is perfect for me. What I would be more concerned with is your lack of a good boil. I'd say its about time to invest in a good outdoor burner. You can get a turkey fryer for cheap this time of year! A good rolling boil is key for good hot break, good hop utilization, and the reduction of DMS. Just my $0.02

I'm glad to hear that about the Mash. As for the burner... I got a bayou classic outdoor burner and a 32qt stainless steel pot for Christmas. This was my first time using it. I was getting a better boil on my electric stove with a ceramic pot in my previous batches. :(

would it work if i use flaked barley instead of corn? Corn is quite expencive here...

Estbrew said:
would it work if i use flaked barley instead of corn? Corn is quite expencive here...

Sure it will work. You don't need to adjust the mash but realize that flaked barley will add some protien haze to the finished brew in the form of a true chill haze.

Flaked barley is going to leave you with different flavours, and mouthfeel. Will it work? Yes. Will it make a good beer? If your process is good, yup.

The flavour and colour will be different than the original, but I bet you dollars to doughnuts you make a light ale you can be proud of.

I'm glad to hear that about the Mash. As for the burner... I got a bayou classic outdoor burner and a 32qt stainless steel pot for Christmas. This was my first time using it. I was getting a better boil on my electric stove with a ceramic pot in my previous batches. :(

Probably not enough BTU's . I have a small burner 30K i think also and it does not work so well. Upgrade to 100K or more with a 20 or 30 psi regulator .
my last comment on this burner thing as I do not want to hijack this thread. ...back to cream ale .

Made an 11 gallon batch of this yesterday. Used 1oz Mt.hood and Willamette.

I hit about 85% efficiency so my
OG was 1.050

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Looks like I'm going to have to scale this one down a little. Aiming for 10.5 gallons post-boil, and I think I may hit 85% again. Looks like the alphas in my hops are rather stronger too, as I'm coming in at 22.0 IBU on BeerSmith.

Going to make this next weekend. Think I'll use 1056 to get it out of my fridge before it goes dead.

Probably not enough BTU's . I have a small burner 30K i think also and it does not work so well. Upgrade to 100K or more with a 20 or 30 psi regulator .
my last comment on this burner thing as I do not want to hijack this thread. ...back to cream ale .

I've done 13 gallon boils that roiled very well on my 55k BTU SQ14 Bayou Classic burner. Wasn't even turned all the way up.

Are you guys boiling inside a snowstorm or something?

Wow that was quite a read
I confess I did not read all of this thread but found the flow of ideas and questions very enlightening.

Thanks all

Latest posts

Back