Very pleased

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruscar

Eat, drink, repeat
Reaction score
Just cracked a Red Tail Ale clone that I have been patiently (OK, not REAL patiently) waiting to finish.

Best beer I've made, hands down. :D

Newbies, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, THIS is the reason we brew our own! :tank:

Just thought I'd share the moment with y'all.

Nicely done.

I just poured my third Old Speckled Hen clone of the evening...after having two anchor steam clones...after enjoying two of my oktoberfests with dinner.

Ain't nuthin like enjoying beers-o-the-world for pennies on the dollar.

You know the funny thing? I just had a feeling from the time I tasted it when I racked it to secondary that it would be good. I just PRAYED the beer gods would keep a close eye on it!
headbang.gif

Where did you get your "RedTail" clone recipe?

I love RTA and my clone recipe from BYO was a huge disappointment.

Regards,
Al

I started w/BYO's but "tweaked it" a bit.
evil6.gif

Instead of the DME, I used 7# of Ultralight from San Francisco Brewcraft. I nixed the Cluster and did one oz. of Northern Brewer 7.5%. Also, instead of the bottling with DME, I used one cup of clover honey mixed with 1 cup of water.
In the end, the hops have a nicer bite and it's a bit fuller. Now, that being said, I haven't bought a bottle of RTA to compare. But, damn the torpedoes, I like the result regardless if it's a dead on match!
electricguitar.gif

Congrats.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I just made a Red Wheat (I was thinking a cross between a Killians and a Blue Moon). I had my doubts, but I thought why not? My friends also commented on how they thought it was my best beer

Bruscar said:
Newbies, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, THIS is the reason we brew our own! :tank:

My friends also commented on how they thought it was my best beer too. While I agree with you, I think THIS is an even better feeling, when other people tell you they like your beers.

"While I agree with you, I think THIS is an even better feeling, when other people tell you they like your beers."

I know what you are saying, but I'm my own worst critic. Most of the people that get my brews are easy to please. "Free beer?? Meh, how bad can it be?!" Hey, Ima got into this brewin' gig for MEEE, brotha! :rockin:

Hi Bruscar,

I know this is a old post, but I've been looking at making the BYO Red Tail Ale clone and wanted to try your variant to since I have some people have not like the recipe in the clone.

One question though, what is Ultralight from San Francisco Brewcraft exactly?

I couldn't find anything called Ultralight on their site.

Any suggestions for a substitute from here, http://www.breworganic.com/
or here, http://morebeer.com

Since these are places I can get to easily.

Thanks

Congrats.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I just made a Red Wheat (I was thinking a cross between a Killians and a Blue Moon). I had my doubts, but I thought why not? My friends also commented on how they thought it was my best beer

My friends also commented on how they thought it was my best beer too. While I agree with you, I think THIS is an even better feeling, when other people tell you they like your beers.

I think it's probably a step to Zen enlightenment.... but my life became much more full when I stopped giving a crap about what my "friends" thought about me (or anythign I made or did!). :fro::D:rockin::tank:

Back