Moldy LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOB

Reaction score
I bought some LME from AHBS about 2 months ago. I bought enough for my next 4 brews since I always wait til the last minute. I went to brew the 3rd of the 4th batch last night and opened the LME and there was mold on top! Opened the other LME for the 4th batch, same thing. Had to throw both away and waste the wort with the steeped grains and the yeast started I made (no malt extract to keep it alive.)

Is 2 months too long for LME to be saved? SHould I try and keep it in the fridge next time?

I'm going to try and get some free LME from AHBS but I want to make sure 2 months isn't too long to hang on to this stuff. Any opinions?

I've gone much longer than two months with LME. The sugar concentration is high enough to inhibit growth. But humidity can be a problem, as it will dilute the LME at the surface.

I have used a 'bucket' of LME from AHS that was a year old...the beer was not particularly good but it wasn't moldy.

Why not go with DME? It will definitely last and LME is notorious for darkening with time.
If you will be trying to make a light colored beer, use DME.

The last time I needed to keep some extra LME around for awhile I poured about a 1/2" layer of cheap vodka on top and sealed the container. The vodka stays right on top and creates a layer of protection that no nasties can get through. Pour off the vodka and you're ready to go. Just a suggestion.

johnsma22 said:
The last time I needed to keep some extra LME around for awhile I poured about a 1/2" layer of cheap vodka on top and sealed the container. The vodka stays right on top and creates a layer of protection that no nasties can get through. Pour off the vodka and you're ready to go. Just a suggestion.

Good idea.
I think I have heard of people purging off any oxygen with CO2 before closing...this should work too (if you have CO2).

I didn't think my LME should be bad in 2 months and that's what I'm mainly trying to get at here. Good suggestions, but I want to make sure before I ask for replacement LME that I actually have a case and I didnt do something wrong.

WHat might cause this to mold when it's been sealed the whole time?

SOB said:
WHat might cause this to mold when it's been sealed the whole time?

If there were mold spores in there to begin with and/or it wasn't sealed well.

Might help to keep it refrigerated too.

The stuff AHS sells is squirted into a bucket from a big bulk vat they get (I assume). So, if things aren't too clean when thy are doing it some bugs could get in there. The stuff sold in the cans is probably sterilized after packaging so they can sit on the shelves for a while.

About two years ago I bought a liquid extract kit from AHBS with the liquid extract in the bucket. I ended taking a break from home brewing and did not get around to using the kit until earlier this year.

When I opened the bucket there was mold on the inside of the lid. I went ahead and boiled it and finished the batch, with fresh hops and yeast.

After a week in the primary, two in the secondary, and about five in the keg this I2PA started to taste okay. Not great, but it was drinkable. I was surprised and thankful that I had not aborted the batch.

I brewed a Porter with moldy LDME and it was the best I brewed to date. I just scraped the mold off and boiled the heck out of it (90 min). It came out fine.

Llike I said it was a great beer. I did this becasue I had everything ready and could not wait or I might have tossed the LDME and went with something a bit fresher. But as the saying goes I RDWHAHB.

Works everytime.

- WW

Back