False bottom question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot see paying $75-90 for a false bottom. Especially since the perforated stainless they are using costs so little. At onlinemetals.com a sheet of 12"x12" (0.06" thick A36 Perforated Sheet Round Hole (0.09375" holes - 0.15625" stagger), is only $12.09. You buy 2 and cut them into 2 half circles and add stainless hinges. Or you can just buy 1 and cut it into a 12" circle...

Thoughts? How difficult would it be to cut this? Angle grinder with a jig?

I suggest going the less expensive route, if you have equipment to do it. The diameter of mine is 14.750" you can go smaller I suppose.

I don't think using A36 is a good comparison. You're comparing apples to llamas. A36 is a mild steel that will rust before you're done with the first mash.

The 0.06" thick 304 perf sheet on the other hand is 26.62$ (+). That will yield you a 12" false bottom. To get a full size false bottom for a keggle (15.5"d) you'd need to buy the 24x 24 sheet and cut out what you need. That size sheet is 82.62$. So, after shipping, yup, 90$ false bottom.

I don't think using A36 is a good comparison. You're comparing apples to llamas. A36 is a mild steel that will rust before you're done with the first mash.

The 0.06" thick 304 perf sheet on the other hand is 26.62$ (+). That will yield you a 12" false bottom. To get a full size false bottom for a keggle (15.5"d) you'd need to buy the 24x 24 sheet and cut out what you need. That size sheet is 82.62$. So, after shipping, yup, 90$ false bottom.

I dont agree that you'd need 24x24. You couldnt get a whole 15" false bottom in the keg w/o great difficulty at all (I am guessing) bc of the size and the opening for the tops of the keggles are typically 12". Isnt that why they put the hinges on them?

You could get 2 12x12's and cut half circles to 7.5" and connect with stainless hinges.

Let me ask this...what would you need to do if you did just cut one into a 12" circle? What would be the cons?

I gave alot of thought to this before I bought one. I look at this being an integral part of your brewery. If your diameter decreases you loose some space beneath the false bottom as it self centers lower in the kegs dished bottom. I direct fire my tun so that for me would be a concern increasing my chance to accidently scorch wort. Subsequently the surface area decreases which would lead me to believe efficiency would decrease. All things considered I decided to buy it and never looked back. I like the craftsmanship its waterjet cut opposed to plasma cutting, its cleaner and the hindges are not cut on a chop saw and welded like some other false bottoms out there. I am all about my equipment being clean especially what contacts wort! Anyhow I hope that helps. Cheers

I gave alot of thought to this before I bought one. I look at this being an integral part of your brewery. If your diameter decreases you loose some space beneath the false bottom as it self centers lower in the kegs dished bottom. I direct fire my tun so that for me would be a concern increasing my chance to accidently scorch wort. Subsequently the surface area decreases which would lead me to believe efficiency would decrease. All things considered I decided to buy it and never looked back. I like the craftsmanship its waterjet cut opposed to plasma cutting, its cleaner and the hindges are not cut on a chop saw and welded like some other false bottoms out there. I am all about my equipment being clean especially what contacts wort! Anyhow I hope that helps. Cheers

It does. Thanks. I guess you are right, if anything you want to dish out a little more for the additional quality you are getting, especially in a Mashtun.

You can fit a single piece, full diameter false bottom through a 12" opening by cutting slits all the way to the edge to load/ unload like a coin slot.
Its a good idea to cut two halves out of a smaller sheet, if the sheets are not square. But a 12" square will still only yield a 12" diameter circle. You can go with a 12" false bottom, that is the size in the morebeer kit. Just don't make it out of A36. Use 304 or 316.

To cut it, just trace it out and use a cut off wheel. Shape it with a sanding disc after the cut. At 0.060", you could use heavy shears and muscle through it, if you don't have power tools.

IMO you made the correct decision. The FB is a key piece of equipment and it will pay off in the long run to do it right. The Sabco unit is high quality and a proven design with a long track record. Sabco uses this same FB on the Brew Magic.

I use the Sabco false bottom as well. It is WELL worth the money and actually you can't find a better deal. We had (have) a guy on the forum cutting and selling these, and he couldn't match sabco's price for 15".

Onlinemetals will sell you a piece any size you need. I got a 15 inch square piece of .06 304 perforated for my false bottom for $60.75. I live about 2 miles from their shop, free will-call pick up. :ban:

Back