Cheap Ball Valve Actuator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P-Lay

Reaction score
I came across a zone valve for a home radiant heating system here, and noticed that you can buy just the motor for the valve here.

I was wondering if these could be used to actuate a ball valve in a brewing system. If you could fabricate a mounting bracket and attach the motor to the stem, this could be a fairly cheap way (compared to other automated valves) to have an automated ball valve in your system.

I read through the details and the specs and wasn't able to figure out the torque but I would think it would be enough for another ball valve. I'm also assuming that it's a 90 degree rotation.

From what I can tell, the zone valves are meant to be open or closed only so I don't think this could be used for proportional control, only on/off control. This might be a reasonable replacement for solenoid valves in the wort flow piping where grain particles might interfere with the solenoid valve operation.

The zone valve motor combined with a 3 pieces stainless ball valve from grainger, could be built for under $50. The stainless solenoid valves from dudadiesel are $52.

Has anyone tried this or used these valves/motors? Any thoughts? Am I way off on this?

Looks like an interesting idea, you might look at other surplus gear motors to drive ball valves, just need to add a way to stop it when valve is in correct position. Could be mechanical stops and spring return or disk and microswitch to break power to motor.

Looks like an interesting idea, you might look at other surplus gear motors to drive ball valves, just need to add a way to stop it when valve is in correct position. Could be mechanical stops and spring return or disk and microswitch to break power to motor.

Thanks for the suggestion. Would the motor for the zone valve not stop at the correct position by itself if attached to a different ball valve? Assuming it is mounted and aligned properly.

Here is a thread where we covered a bit of this idea.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/march-pump-control-question-151267/

I am currently using an electric ball valve on my rig. It works pretty good.

That's really cool. I must have missed that one. How do you like it so far? Do you have any plans to import these and sell them? Sorry if you answered these in that thread, I didn't read the whole thing.

:mug:

Here is a picture showing a motorized valve I am using to protect my glycol chiller pump.

100_0372.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Hey all! This thread is old, but it seems like a good place to post this.

I found a supplier in China for SS 1/2 NPT electric (12VDC) ball valves. Only $24 each plus shipping and wire transfer fee (which is a bit much). If anybody else is interested, we could save some $$ on shipping and wire fee. Drop me a line. I plan on making the purchase on Monday.

Back