building a calendar of beer recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyPBar

Reaction score
hey guys i am creating a calendar with a different beer recipe for each month pertaining to that time of year. Like a winter lager for november etc. i was wanting to get some seasoned brewers opinions on what their favorite monthly brews are? i would like to sell the calendar online, so please let me know if posting this out of line. any and all input is appreciated. thanks guys.

Yuri's thunderstruck pumpkin is awesome. I would pencil that in for august so its ready for Halloween :)

yeah you'll want to make sure you offset the calender to give plenty of time to let the beers mature. don't make a november beer IN november... make it in july ;)

I have no input, as I haven't even brewed one beer yet, but I love this idea! I think it would great, and a pictures of tasty pint's are never a bad thing!

Kris

good point on the offsetting of months. didnt think about that. thanks.

i was thinking of giving any one that submitted a recipe (along with their permission to print it:) ) a calendar at cost if they wanted it.

This has been done before...several times.

Some of us on here would disagree with many of them, but it's a start.

I can drink/brew Hefe Weizen year round. It's not just a summer drink for me.

Here's one to start tweaking:

Style When to Brew When to Drink

Altbier 1st Oct mid Dec
Barley Wine 1st Feb mid Dec
Belgian Strong Aale, Trappist 1st Aug end Jan
Belgian White 1st June end July
Biere de Garde/Saison 1st Feb end May
Bitter 1st Oct mid Nov
Bock 1st Jan end March
Brown Ale US 1st Nov end Dec
Brown Ale UK 1st Sept end Oct
California Common 1st Sept end Oct
Doppelbock 1st Nov end Feb
Dortmunder 1st Nov end Dec
Dunkelweizen 1st April mid May
Extra Special Bitter 1st Oct mid Dec
Eisbock 1st Sept end Feb
Festbier 1st April mid June
Fruit Beer 1st April mid to late June
Imperial Stout 1st Jan mid Dec
India Pale Ale 1st March end June
Kolsch 1st March end March
Lambic 1st March end May 1st June end Feb
Lager US 1st April end June
Maibock 1st Feb end May
Marzen/Oktoberfest 1st Feb late Aug
Mead mid Dec mid Dec
Mild Ale 1st Sept end Sept
Munich Helles/Dunkles 1st Jan end March
Old Ale 1st May end Sept
Pale Ale 1st March end March end April mid June
Pilsener 1st Feb end April
Porter 1st Feb end Feb
Red Ale 1st Feb end Feb
Scotch Ale 1st April end Dec
Scottish Ale 1st Sept mid Oct
Schwarzbier 1st Dec mid Jan
Smoked Beer 1st Sept mid Nov
Spiced Ale mid Oct end Dec
Stout, Dry end Jan end Feb
Stout, Specialty 1st Oct end Nov
Weisse, Berliner 1st June end July
Weizen 1st June mid July
Weizenbock mid July mid Dec

I'd probably buy a calendar like that. It should have 2 recipes per month, so you either choose one, or brew twice. I usually brew 2 or 3 times per month. Also, if the recipes are solid, I would want to reuse the calendar, at least as a style reference multiple years so it shouldn't be tied to a specific year. A section on each mont for recipe notes and desired tweaks would be useful too.

ok here is the schedule i made from homebrewer99's post. i tried to plug as many in as i could that would be ready at the right time of year with the right amount of time in the bottle. basically you brew two batches and drink two batches every month once you are in the cycle. any suggestions for ones that should be moved or completely taken out would really be appreciated. hopefully i will get this thing done by christmas. thanks guys!

beerschedule.jpg

EDIT: for each month the brewing would be done at the beginning of the month and the drinking towards the end.

This looks like a good calendar. The only thing I would suggest is to tweak the aging/maturing for some of the styles. For instance, i would probably age a Belgian White or a Bock a lot long than a month. Also, check your Kolsch entry, you have it listed in the same month, unless you mean to age it a year. . .;)

Let me know when you are done! I would be interested!

Really contemplating doing this... sorta like that movie Jules and Julia... except with beer. Heh he. Cant do this year as I have no funds for another carboy - but I might start mid year.

Thanks subby.

ok here is the revised version of the beer schedule after 5 ibuprofen's and 2 hours of staring at my screen. as before to have the beers aged to the max they would brewed at the beginning of the month and drank at the end. if anyone spots any discrepancies or have any suggestion let me know. i think i have got it pretty close, they won't all be aged just right due to the fact that i had to move them back and forth in order to get all of them to work. ok here it is. thanks for the input so far, u guys are awesome!

beerschedule1.jpg

Also instead of putting two recipes on each (which there isn't really enough room for). I am going to omit the recipes and just put the styles, with the URL to HBT's recipes. Since basically all I would be doing is copying the generic recipes for each style anyhow. This way everyone can either use a recipe they already use for the style or go find one that they would like to try. Still in the works though. I will try to post a mock up of one of the months so you guys can see it. Let me know what you guys think, merry brewing and happy holidays!

I have a separate Idea if your considering other options. .. have the calender cover 2 BJCP Categories per month. Probably wont apply to everyone but maybe ppl studying for the test if they can learn 2 categories per month will be ready in a years time.

hmm i like the idea! however it might have to be a separate project seeing as i have about 6 months done so far. we'll see how well this calendar does and then i might tackle that one. cool idea though. thanks!

does anyone think using the homebrewtalk.com url on my calendar for people to find recipes would be a problem? i have sent 2 emails through the contact us link on here and have received nothing back. it basically all i am waiting to finish this thing.

if it's not too late, i would suggest switching the oktoberfest and imperial stout. if you don't think it will be too soon to drink the oktoberfest, putting it to be drank (tense?) at the end of september would coincide with the start of oktoberfest properly, instead of 3 weeks after the event. not a big deal really, since no one is in germany when drinking their brew, but for tradition sake. looks good, like you put a bunch of work into it, at least the page displayed above ;)

thanks i think i will switch them. so what do you think about using the website? does anyone think the creators of HBT will be upset if I use it on my calendar? thanks for the input guys!

well its finally done. after many hours of staring at my screen I finally finished it! i would like thank everyone that gave their input on this project. it was really appreciated! check it out and let me know what you think! also i have the royalty at the lowest setting, so if anyone wants one grab it now while it is as cheap as i can post it! thanks again everyone! happy new year!

:ban: the calendar! :ban:

Back