Krausen after 12 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had origianlly posted how proud of I was the active fermentation of my Pumpkin Pie Spice ale. (see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/whoa-can-you-say-active-86310/) Now I'm not sure what's going on.

After 12 days I still have about an inch of krausen on the beer based on visual inspection of the side of the carboy. I can't see through the residue left on the carboy surface so I had to remove the blowoff tube and look down the neck to see what's up. Some of the bubbles on the surface are HUGE, the size of golf balls. The krausen on the surface is thick enough that I can't see the beer surface. When I pulled a sample and placed the hydrometer in the testing tube a large number of tiny CO2 bubbles were released. After 7 batches brewed this is all new to me.

Could the viscosity of the beer be great enough to cause this behavior?

OG 1.047
SG Yesteday = 1.011 @ 62.9F

Recipe
7.00lb Two-row Pale
3.00lb Munich 10L
1.00lb Carahell

1oz E. Kent Goldings 60min
.5oz E. Kent Goldings 30min
.5oz E. Kent Goldings 5 min

Safale US-05 dry yeast
2.5 tsp Cinnamon \
1.5 tsp Nutmeg --> last 10 min
1.5 tsp Allspice /

Mash 60min @ 153F
Batch Sparge @ 168F

60 Min boil

What yeast are you using?

-- Did you add any additional fermentables (sugars etc.)?
And is it fermenting at a constant temperature?

It'll eventually settle out. I have had Krausen stick around for very long periods of time and micro is right it's mostly about the yeast choice. You are hitting 75% attenuation so it sounds like all is going well. What I have learned is that you'll see all sorts of weird stuff, just trust your hydro readings! And before worrying about something going wrong, let the beer completely finish (I mean all the way through aging) before casting judgment.

Back