Converting an all-grain recipe to extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to move to all-grain eventually (I swear I am!) but at the moment am only set up to do extract. Right now I'm ordering ingredients for our next batch and was looking to do a Fuggles Ale. The only recipe I found here was for all-grain:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/fuggles-52520/

Is it easy to convert this to an extract recipe? Is there software available that will do it for me? Or can anyone help out?

Also, if anyone does have an extract recipe for a Fuggles Ale, please post it and I will be eternally grateful!

Thanks,

Eric

Beer Smith has a convert feature. You can download a trial version free for 20 days. It's probably the best money I ever spent in my brewing career.

edit: I get 7.16 lbs of DME for extract.

Someone might be able to help you with this by hand, but I used the program BeerSmith to convert. It is a one button solution. They offer a free trial.

Edit: Looks like you beat me to it Nurmey!

thanks guys. I happen to be on a Mac and Beersmith looks like it's windows-only, but this is a good excuse to try and run a windows program on my mac (supposedly I can do that easily)

an easy formula for extract is lbsXpoints/5gallons where points is *40 for dme and 36 for lme so 7lbsx40/5=56 (1.056) or 8lbsx36/5=57 (1.057)

*some use 45 for dme

This guide was quite helpful to me:

Converting All Grain to Extract/partial mash

The fuggles smash recipe is pretty simple, take your amount of base grains and multiply by a factor of .75 if you're using LME or .6 if you're using DME.

8.25 lbs of British Pale malt extract (liquid)
or
6.6 lbs of dry extract of the same type.

Or you could do a partial mash with Maris Otter malt. For every pound of grain you mash, reduce the amount of extract accordingly. It's pretty easy to do with a grain bag and a small cooler or pot ala Deathbrewer's tutorial

Depending on how much you can boil with your setup, you may want to adjust the hops a bit or add extract later in the boil to keep the same hop profile of the original recipe. One of the calculators can help you with your adjustments.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm trying to shop on AHBS for the ingredients but they don't sell British Pale extract (dry or liquid). Not sure if I should get Light or Extra-Light extract. They do, of course, have Maris Otter malt, which I'll use for steeping.

What DME or LME should I use? And how many pounds of Maris Otter would you use for steeping?

That one sounds great, too, but I just bottled an IPA, so I'll wait a brew or two before making another one. I'm still struggling to figure out what ingredients to order for the converted-to-extract Fuggles recipe.

That's the easiest recipe to convert. 6lbs extra light dme will get you 1.054. But doing a single malt beer with just extract I wouldn't do so I think you should steep some carapils for body and maybe some light-medium crystal10-60 for color/flavor/malt backbone. You can't steep MArris Otter which is just a pale malt made with winter barley. It has to be mashed. I'd do:

6lbs dme
1/2 lbs crystal 10-60
1/2 lbs carapils
(steep grains in 155F for 45 min)
2 oz fuggle 60
.5 oz fuggle 15
1 oz fuggle 0

og 1.056
ibu 40

THis would be a relatively big English Pale Ale...If you want more of a best/esb cut the dme back to 4-5lbs and do 1.5oz Fuggle at 60 for an og of 1.042-47/ibu 30.

Thanks. On the DME, would you use Light or Extra-Light?

edit:
never mind, just saw it, thanks again!

I always used extra light, even extra light is not as light as 100% mashed 2 row. Do late addition boil with it to keep the color down and the hop U up.

I've been using BeerSmith to convert AG to Extract and I'm really disappointed it doesn't help a noob out by suggesting the right DME or LME to get the results.

I've been using BeerSmith to convert AG to Extract and I'm really disappointed it doesn't help a noob out by suggesting the right DME or LME to get the results.

Well, you can set that up yourself. In the program, it'll say "when converting to extract, use this extract:" for grains like 2-row, pilsner malt, etc.

What I always did was use the lightest DME or LME I could find (unless I had a reason to want something like pilsner extract) to replace the 2-row. Plain base malt is rather, well, plain. You get the extra flavor from the specialty grains. Some malts like vienna malt really have no good substitute imho, but you can still use them in a mini-mash.

Well, you can set that up yourself. In the program, it'll say "when converting to extract, use this extract:" for grains like 2-row, pilsner malt, etc.

What I always did was use the lightest DME or LME I could find (unless I had a reason to want something like pilsner extract) to replace the 2-row. Plain base malt is rather, well, plain. You get the extra flavor from the specialty grains. Some malts like vienna malt really have no good substitute imho, but you can still use them in a mini-mash.

Crap! I'm a software noob too! :cross:

Thanks Yoop

Beersmith should be Noober friendly you'd think...Maybe they should make a NoobSmith, or NoobMash.

Back