Rheinheitsgebot - I want a poster/print

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
I can't find a copy of the Rheinheitsgebot to save my life. I want a poster or quality print (preferable) with the original document side by side with a English translation. Why can't I find one.

HELP!:drunk:

I don't always follow the rules, but the majority of the time I do.

Yes I just like the idea, I think it would be a really cool think to put in my office if I could find a nice looking one.

Soul, I can't even find a decent image of it. Seriously try finding one. I am hoping someone knows a store or something that sells them. Or has one....

beerLaw.gif

This is the best one I could find. If you could get the original text I bet you could mock up a nice looking re-production in Illustrator and then once printed age the paper nicely with a coffee soak and some manual aging of the paper edges.

basically, print it on a laser jet or another water proof medium. Wad the print up tightly, but without tearing it. Then unfold it in a large pan and pour some black coffee over the whole thing. Then smooth it out on a flat surface and let it dry.

I did that with some cider labels and they looked amazing.

Here's the text that you can read.

Wie das Bier im Sommer und Winter auf dem Land ausgeschenkt und gebraut werden soll.
Wir verordnen, setzen und wollen mit dem Rat unserer Landschaft, daß forthin überall im Fürstentum Bayern sowohl auf dem lande wie auch in unseren Städten und Märkten, die kein besondere Ordnung dafür haben, von Michaeli bis Georgi ein Maß (bayerische = 1,069 Liter) oder ein Kopf (halbkugelförmiges Geschirr für Flüssigkeiten = nicht ganz eine Maß) Bier für nicht mehr als einen Pfennig Münchener Währung und von Georgi bis Michaeli die Maß für nicht mehr als zwei Pfennig derselben Währung, der Kopf für nicht mehr als drei Heller (Heller = gewöhnlich ein halber Pfennig) bei Androhung unten angeführter Strafe gegeben und ausgeschenkt werden soll. Wo aber einer nicht Märzen-, sondern anderes Bier brauen oder sonst wie haben würde, soll er es keineswegs höher als um einen Pfennig die Maß ausschenken und verkaufen. Ganz besonders wollen wir, daß forthin allenthalben in unseren Städten, Märkten und auf dem Lande zu keinem Bier mehr Stücke als allein Gersten, Hopfen und Wasser verwendet und gebraucht werden sollen. Wer diese unsere Anordnung wissentlich übertritt und nicht einhält, dem soll von seiner Gerichtsobrigkeit zur Strafe dieses Faß Bier, so oft es vorkommt, unnachsichtlich weggenommen werden. Wo jedoch ein Gauwirt von einem Bierbräu in unseren Städten, Märkten oder auf dem Lande einen, zwei oder drei Eimer (= enthält 60 Maß) Bier kauft und wieder ausschenkt an das gemeine Bauernvolk, soll ihm allein und sonst niemandem erlaubt und unverboten sein, die Maß oder den Kopf Bier um einen Heller teurer als oben vorgeschrieben ist, zu geben und auszuschenken.

Gegeben von Wilhelm IV.
Herzog in Bayern
am Georgitag zu
Ingolstadt Anno 1516

Reinheitsgebot

If you could screen print and enlarge this might actually make for a good poster.

There is also reference to an old issue of Zymurgy. Mebe' you could talk to them and get a native copy of the image used for the article.

Here's the text that you can read.

Wie das Bier im Sommer und Winter auf dem Land ausgeschenkt und gebraut werden soll.
Wir verordnen, setzen und wollen mit dem Rat unserer Landschaft, daß forthin überall im Fürstentum Bayern sowohl auf dem lande wie auch in unseren Städten und Märkten, die kein besondere Ordnung dafür haben, von Michaeli bis Georgi ein Maß (bayerische = 1,069 Liter) oder ein Kopf (halbkugelförmiges Geschirr für Flüssigkeiten = nicht ganz eine Maß) Bier für nicht mehr als einen Pfennig Münchener Währung und von Georgi bis Michaeli die Maß für nicht mehr als zwei Pfennig derselben Währung, der Kopf für nicht mehr als drei Heller (Heller = gewöhnlich ein halber Pfennig) bei Androhung unten angeführter Strafe gegeben und ausgeschenkt werden soll. Wo aber einer nicht Märzen-, sondern anderes Bier brauen oder sonst wie haben würde, soll er es keineswegs höher als um einen Pfennig die Maß ausschenken und verkaufen. Ganz besonders wollen wir, daß forthin allenthalben in unseren Städten, Märkten und auf dem Lande zu keinem Bier mehr Stücke als allein Gersten, Hopfen und Wasser verwendet und gebraucht werden sollen. Wer diese unsere Anordnung wissentlich übertritt und nicht einhält, dem soll von seiner Gerichtsobrigkeit zur Strafe dieses Faß Bier, so oft es vorkommt, unnachsichtlich weggenommen werden. Wo jedoch ein Gauwirt von einem Bierbräu in unseren Städten, Märkten oder auf dem Lande einen, zwei oder drei Eimer (= enthält 60 Maß) Bier kauft und wieder ausschenkt an das gemeine Bauernvolk, soll ihm allein und sonst niemandem erlaubt und unverboten sein, die Maß oder den Kopf Bier um einen Heller teurer als oben vorgeschrieben ist, zu geben und auszuschenken.

Gegeben von Wilhelm IV.
Herzog in Bayern
am Georgitag zu
Ingolstadt Anno 1516

Mebe' that a text that YOU can read. To me it looks all ASCII.

Hey cool you are making up a copy yourself, perhaps you could post the file when you are done? Or even better if you find the resources to print several of these you could sell them in the classified section for a reasonable profit to fund brewing :)

:mug:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/Reinheitsgebot.html

Reinheitsgebot (Rine-hites-ge-boat)

German Beer Purity Law, 1516
beerLaw.gif
"We hereby proclaim and decree, by Authority of our Province, that henceforth in the Duchy of Bavaria, in the country as well as in the cities and marketplaces, the following rules apply to the sale of beer:

From Michaelmas to Georgi, the price for one Mass [Bavarian Liter 1,069] or one Kopf [bowl-shaped container for fluids, not quite one Mass], is not to exceed one Pfennig Munich value, and From Georgi to Michaelmas, the Mass shall not be sold for more than two Pfennig of the same value, the Kopf not more than three Heller [Heller usually one-half Pfennig].
If this not be adhered to, the punishment stated below shall be administered. Should any person brew, or otherwise have, other beer than March beer, it is not to be sold any higher than one Pfennig per Mass. Furthermore, we wish to emphasize that in future in all cities, markets and in the country, the only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be Barley, Hops and Water. Whosoever knowingly disregards or transgresses upon this ordinance, shall be punished by the Court authorities' confiscating such barrels of beer, without fail. Should, however, an innkeeper in the country, city or markets buy two or three pails of beer (containing 60 Mass) and sell it again to the common peasantry, he alone shall be permitted to charge one Heller more for the Mass of the Kopf, than mentioned above. Furthermore, should there arise a scarcity and subsequent price increase of the barley (also considering that the times of harvest differ, due to location), WE, the Bavarian Duchy, shall have the right to order curtailments for the good of all concerned."
Signed: Duke Wilhelm IV of Bavaria on April 23, 1516 in Ingolstadt.
wilhelmIV.jpg

~ ~ ~
Translation of Reinheitsgebot
from "History of German Brewing" by Karl J. Eden
Zymurgy magazine, Vol. 16, No. 4 Special 1993.

Saccharomyces, that's right. Yeast wasn't identified until the late 1860's, although brewers knew there was something in the trub that helped the next batch get going. In some circles, it was called, "God's Blessing".

Saccharomyces, that's right. Yeast wasn't identified until the late 1860's, although brewers knew there was something in the trub that helped the next batch get going. In some circles, it was called, "God's Blessing".
If I remember correctly I think they called it (yeast slurry) "Godisgood" (God is good)...;)

"Whosoever knowingly disregards or transgresses upon this ordinance, shall be punished by the Court authorities' confiscating such barrels of beer, without fail."

I hereby demand that every last one of you turn over your Oatmeal Stouts to me immediately for proper disposal.

Why would you want to be reminded that something as stupid as the Rheinheitsgebot existed every time you look at your wall?

Why would you want to be reminded that something as stupid as the Rheinheitsgebot existed every time you look at your wall?

There was nothing stupid about the Rheinheitsgebot when it was written.
It was quality assurance and prevention of price gouging.

This one posed a pretty unique challenge, so I gave it a try. Since the OP has aspirations of selling his own version, I will not post a higher resolution image nor will I post this for sale without his permission. I enjoyed the project quite a bit!

sreinheitsgebotyu8.jpg
sreinheitsgebotoriglx8.jpg

Full resolution sample of the image's upper left corner:

parchmentcy5.jpg

Boerderij, if you want any of the layers (I have the paper, text, signature, and seal on separate layers), I can post them at higher resolution.

Yuri, Boerderij, you both DA MAN! Smooth, like butta on da muffin. Ordered.

Why do people keep repeating this? Yeast had been known for centuries before Pasteur. All he did was discover that it was a type of microscopic fungus.

See how often yeast in mentioned in London and Country Brewer, wjhich was originally published in 1736:

http://books.google.com/books?id=LX...=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=yeast &f=false

Latest posts

Back