Coffee porter / stout for beginners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grze

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had a short break from brewing. (I made my last to batches mostly for myself and on top of that I had a lot of commercial beers to drink). I want to switch to 1gallon batches, but not necessarily right now. But anyway, I would like to brew a coffee vanilla porter or stout...But with a lot of coffee.

Do you have any suggestions of extract kits or simple recipes for 1g or 5gallon batch ?

Thank you
Greg

2 oz coffee malt steeped 30 min
1.5 lbs dark dme
.25 oz perle 60 min
. 5 tsp vanilla extract flameout

Just brew a porter as normal and add some cold-steeped (like overnight in the fridge) coffee at bottling time.

I've got a 5 gallon porter finishing up fermenting now. After it gets done cold-crashing, I plan on cold-brewing 1/4lb of course ground dark roast coffee (I may try Texas Pecan flavor on this batch), add about 2/3 of it to the bucket, taste it and then decide how much of the remainder I want to add.

Don't add coffee brewed with hot water unless you like the flavor of leftover burnt coffee that's been sitting in the heated carafe for several hours (or the taste of Guinness which, to me, is rather similar)

Go up a little in gallons and brew this or plug it into BeerSmith and convert it to what ever size you want. Cold brewed coffee added at bottling time is the key. That way you know exactly how much you add and what it will taste like. If you add some during the boil you will have no idea what the finished product will taste like.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/kona-chocolate-macadamia-coffee-stout-360499/

I brewed this one today:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/chocolate-honey-porter-373610/
but made a few changes based on what I had available.

I broke the williamette up to .5/.5 @20 and 10 mins. Also steeped 1.5 oz toasted coconut @10 mins.

I didn't want to buy orange blossom honey, so flameout I did 1.5# clover, 1tbsp Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tbsp. vanilla extract in place of the beans.
Sweet wort had a very deep complex coffee like flavor and tastes like a winner already!
I got 1.067 out of it.

Cooled to 75 and pitched ~500ml of washed wyeast 1084. 8 hours later the fermentation is just getting active enough I'll need to throw a blow off on it before bed. Really looking forward to kegging this one.

Back