Drinking while Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceweldon

Reaction score
So last night I was bottling my Nelson IPA, Nelson Sauvin IPA dry hopped with Chinook, as I was doing so I kept filling up the pint glass straight off the bottling wand. So I'm curious am I the only guilty of such practice? It tasted so good I can't wait until it's carbed and ready to drink.

So last night I was bottling my Nelson IPA, Nelson Sauvin IPA dry hopped with Chinook, as I was doing so I kept filling up the pint glass straight off the bottling wand. So I'm curious am I the only guilty of such practice? It tasted so good I can't wait until it's carbed and ready to drink.

If you remove the spring stopper from the bottling wand, you can just stick it in your mouth and skip the glass.

Here's a DIY project - put two spigots on your bottling bucket. From one of the spigots, you put bottling wand #1 in your mouth, with spring still attached, using your tongue to depress the button when you need more beer. Not unlike a gerbil watering bottle. Leaving both of your hands free to bottle with bottling wand #2.

I'd like to see an instructional thread on this with photos, please.

I take a taste. I am not that fond of the beer at that point. At least not when there is other delicious beer in the kegerator!

But usually I don't drink much during bottling. Too many things can go so wrong.

I'd much rather wait til it's ready to drink. More good beer at that point rather than wasting a good amount through impatience on my part. Good things come to those who wait.

I cap with one hand while filling with the other. I think if I added a 'T' in my hose I could drink too :D

Here's a DIY project - put two spigots on your bottling bucket. From one of the spigots, you put bottling wand #1 in your mouth, with spring still attached, using your tongue to depress the button when you need more beer. Not unlike a gerbil watering bottle. Leaving both of your hands free to bottle with bottling wand #2.

I'd like to see an instructional thread on this with photos, please.

BwwaaaaH! Like a gerbil!

(I usually take a taste of the hydro, but I'm not a fan of the stuff at that point).

If I have a beer or two while bottling at the end I will top up my last beer with what is left in the bucket.

Not me. I do taste it to make sure it's OK, but it's not something I generally want to drink. I like my beer relatively cold and carb'd.

Jaz

I have only bottled twice but I usually have a cup for the leaking wand and what ever doesn't get sucked up during the siphon. Both together usually end up at about a pint and I will drink that to get a feel for the beer. When I keg I usually pour any extra in a glass and will drink that as well. although it usually taste like im drinking a yeast vial but it still gives you a idea.

I would have a sample but not intentionaly fill a glass. I feel like it is wasting potential beer as I do not count my beer as complete untill it is carbed and chilled.

I'm guilty. I've had a couple of beers that even though they were warm and flat tasted amazing, and it was hard not to keep sampling.

I don't like uncarbonated warm beer so no I don't do this. I do sometimes taste it to see how its coming along but usually spit it out after tasting.

Hydro samples are always fair game and never see the drain. I don't intentionally pull a pint Pre carbonation however, as I've got mature beer to enjoy on tap. Pipeline for the win!

The sample is never as near as good as it in the bottle a few months. Use your pipeline and "research"(craft-beer testing) in the mean time.

I'm guilty, as well. Not on all of my batches, but a few that turned out exceptionally good. I couldn't resist! And it saved me a trip to the beer store.

Back