First steam style beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lackofstyl

Reaction score
I have never brewed with a lager yeast ,, and was wondering how long i should leave this batch in the primary, secondary and bottles. The white labs san-fran yeast is fermenting at 69 deg in its first week in the primary right now. Anybody familiar with this?

I have never brewed with a lager yeast ,, and was wondering how long i should leave this batch in the primary, secondary and bottles. The white labs san-fran yeast is fermenting at 69 deg in its first week in the primary right now. Anybody familiar with this?

posted in ag/pm catagory by accident oops:cross:

I do it the same as any other ale style. One week in primary, one week in secondary, and plenty of time in the keg.

Ferment times should be about the same, it is the temps and the lagering where things get alot different.

Yes, I'm familiar with that yeast strain. I brewed my Steam Beer last Saturday and it is fermenting pretty strongly right now. It's the second go round for this recipe.

This strain can handle warmer temps for a lager and, therefore, ferments out quicker than most lagers. Still, I found that if you ferment at cooler temps in the mid-50s, it will run ~2-3 weeks in primary, then another couple weeks in secondary.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am in the preliminary planning stages for a steam beer (will probably brew it sometime in the fall so I can get the right temps without too much fuss) so I'd be interested to hear any thoughts people have on the style, not just ferment times.

Back