American Wheat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofox

Reaction score
This should get some folks going

I've got an american wheat in the primary, and next week I'll either rack to secondary or keg. Used Wyeast 1010 american wheat ale yeast. Here's the question:

If I rack to secondary and use isenglass for fining (I always get great results with other beers), would that still be considered and american wheat ale? Or would it be considered a Krystal?

Why would I want to? I tried a few different wheats over the weekend (Oberon, blue star, etc) and they're not what I remember. Maybe the style has changed.

Thanks!

Don't worry about brewing true to style. Most people get too hung up on it. Make a good beer. Use a bright tank if you want. Use a secondary fermenter for actual fermenting (ie ferment in primary with lager yeast at lager temperature, then rack to secondary fermenter, raise temperature and pitch ale yeast). All my wheat beers are left in a single fermenter for the fermenting and aging process. Then bottled or kegged.

I tried New belgium's Sunshine wheat ale last nite. A nice clear wheat ale that was alot better than the others with the yeast. So I'm fining.

I was just curious what the style called for. Thanks man! :mug:

+1 to what Weizenwerks said re brewing to style, and what Misplaced Canuck said re person preference. But that said, American wheats should be clear. It's really only hefeweizens (and some wits) that should be cloudy - hefe is German for yeast, after all. You used American wheat yeast, which will not produce the esters associated with hefeweizen, and will not complement the flavor of the yeast in the same way.

From BJCP:
Appearance:
Usually pale yellow to gold. Clarity may range from brilliant to hazy with yeast approximating the German hefeweizen style of beer. Big, long-lasting white head.
;)

Appearance:
Usually pale yellow to gold. Clarity may range from brilliant to hazy with yeast approximating the German hefeweizen style of beer. Big, long-lasting white head.

That's what I was wondering about. Ok cool, so I'll still be in style if I clear it. Thanks!

Back