Haier Minifridge Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roz762

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum, wondering if you guys could help out a little.

I'm looking to build a two keg kegerator from a minifridge and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of a specific model fridge that would work well. I need it to hold two 5gal. cornies possibly with the co2 tank.

I was looking at this fridge on walmart's website. It looks very similar to the actual kegerator that Haier sells. The external dimensions almost match between the two. Its possible Haier just takes makes a kegerator version of this fridge. I wondering if I could do a conversion on this guy. Has anyone used this fridge before?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-Refrigerator-4.6-Freezer-Black/5430328

Also, if you guys have any suggestions of fridges that you are certain will work for a 2 keg kegerator. NOT CRAIGSLIST.

Thanks,
Roz

The difference between that fridge and the kegerator is the freezer. You'll have to bend the freezer down and out of the way to make it work. It's do-able, but it would make me nervous doing it on a fridge I paid full price for.

If you do a quick search for kegerator conversions here, you'll find a host of model numbers that people have had success with, and what they had to do to make each one work. That might be a better bet.

I have a Sanyo 4912. It works great and is a popular choice. You can find several threads about the build from the search function. Also there are some video's on You Tube.

Any other suggestions of minifridged that work, considering the Sanyo 4912 is damned hard to find now?

This is what I used. No freezer to move, holds (2) 5 gal corny kegs and a 5lb CO2 bottle no problem.

http://www.danby.com/whirlpool/product/WAR488BSL

IMG_3459.jpg

If you try to convert it, keep me updated. I have the same fridge (I think) and am planning to convert it myself.

Go to your local Home Depot or Lowes or Sears and look at their already assembled Sanke keg kegerators then convert that to two Cornys.

Reason I say this:

1) Here in NJ (usually around this time [July 4th]) they are decently priced at like 180-200 vs a 150 + 120 conversion kit (I'm assuming you want a tower)
2) It may only have one faucet, but you can drill out another or replace the tower easy as pie
3) It fits the kegs without having to bend stuff, drill stuff out, trim doors or any of that nonsense with finding cooling lines
4) The ones here will hold 50* without any temp control so one less thing to install

I figure I could have saved around $100-150 if I originally went that route.

-or-

Just get a freezer and do that way...as I know a lot of us (me icluded) will tell ya once you have 2 on tap you'll want more :D

Thought I'd update you guys on my plight:

As it turns out, the answer I didn't want to hear was the best option. I found a Kenmore minifridge on Craigslist for $30 bucks. Holds two cornies. What a steal. Gets down to 33-34 deg. F.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Roz

Back