Apfelwein mistake - Bottle or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corvax13

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I made my first batch of Apfelwein a while ago, and it has been fermenting in my closet.

Today I was prepping to bottle it, however, when I reached for my carboy I realized I had mistakenly placed a drilled bung on the carboy instead of a solid one- stupid noob mistake. The carboy has sat for a month and a few days with a hole right on the top.

To bottle or not to bottle? It does not look weird, nor does it smell bad - it actually smells pretty good. As far as I can tell, it still worth bottling.

What do you guys think? Is there something I am overlooking?

Well I would say, if it doesn't smell bad, give it a small taste test and go from there.

There are people on here that ferment in open containers with no issues... I don't but I think you will be fine.. bottle away...

What's it TASTE like? If good, then bottle. There is still the chance of it souring in the bottles if there are any nasties in there, but what can you do really?

There should be no issues with bottling. CO2 is heavier than air, so it will make a nice protective pillow over your apfelwein.

Use a wine thief (or turkey baster) to taste a sample. If it's funky, toss it. If not, bottle it. :)

If the container is not sealed, even though CO2 is heavier than air, oxygen will rush in and destroy the inert blanket. It's a physics thing, dealing with partial pressures and stuff.

Back