Dry Hopping with Homegrown Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinksWellWithOthers

Reaction score
I've got a Harvest Red Ale going right now and I'd like to dry hop it with a couple ounces of homegrown Cascades. I've come across a couple of blogs and threads where people have funked up their brews when dry hopping with homegrown hops and its kinda got me irked. Is this a valid concern? Is there anyway to sanitize hops or does that just sound stupid?

I've got about a half pound of Cascade pellets I could dip into but would like to use my homegrown whole hops because that's what I used in the kettle.

Hops wont infect a beer, they are antiseptic.
I bet you handled yours WAY better/cleaner than commercial harvesters.
If someones beer got funky from hops it was funky before the hops went in.

1 oz is plenty for 5 gallons.

FWIW, you can use them for any part of the process, just pick the middle ground on the AA (IE if it says 5-8 for cascades calculate it at 6.5%)

The Pils that took 3rd at last years SSBC competition used ALL homegrown Mt Hoods

Thanks babalu. This is the first time I've used homegrown hops and I guess I was just hesitant to throw something I grew into a beer sans boil or sanitization.

I often dryhop, and I don't worry about sanitation. I keep the hops in the freezer, and they go from vacuum sealed plastic bag (done with the foodsaver) right into the carboy. So far, so good! I got at least 24 ounces (dried) off the cascade plant this year, and 16 ounces (dried) last year, so I've been using them pretty often. I only have done one beer with the homegrown hallertauer and that worked fine, too.

Back