First competition -- Best of Show!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick500

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy. I just got first in IPAs and Best of Show (of 299 entries) at the Kentucky State Fair. First competition I've entered.

So now, TheJadedDog, you can proudly add "Best of Show" to your most excellent All-Amarillo IPA recipe!

:rockin:

Thanks guys.

I don't know what I won...they didn't announce what the prizes were, only the companies that donated the prizes. I'm anticipating something cool, given who donated.

Edit:

I won a blue ribbon and a cool inscribed beer mug for winning the IPA category, and a big fancy purple ribbon and a stained glass piece that has three beers and a cool background, for winning best of show. It's not a Blichmann kettle or anything, but it's cool. :)

And... it was my final extract batch. So there. ;)

Congratuations, I have brewed that recipe a few times myself. It is great. I haven't brewed it since I moved to full boils. I may have to adjust the recipe a bit and get that one on the to do list.

I see in the recipe thread that you dry hopped a batch, is that the one you won with? I had been thinking about doing the same, but the original recipe was so good, I didn't want to mess with it.

Yes, the batch I brewed had two changes to TheJadedDog's recipe -- I added a one-ounce dry hop (also Amarillo) for about 2 weeks, and I fermented with yeast from Bell's Two-Hearted ale.

Congrabulashuns!!!

I haven't gotten around to entering anything either. I'm looking forward to it though!

Schlante,
Phillip

Yeah congratulations!! I'm heading out to the fair on Sunday and the homebrew section will be the first one i check out. I was planning on entering something this year but I didn't. Sure do wish I could try some of that BOS IPA though.....Did you enter anything in the label contest??

Extract? :eek: The humiliation! You've got a lot of All Grain Snobs crying in their beer. :(

Say it ain't so!

Congratulations! Winning the IPA style is tough. Getting BOS cooking up a fellow HBT's recipe is a homer and a RBI.

That's awesome, congrats. I was going to enter a few beers, but didn't feel like wasting money to drive to Louisville to drop them off, considering they are just ok by my standards.

congrats on the win! This wouldn't happen to be the same batch as the bottle of your IPA you're including in our swap is it? :D

congrats on the win! This wouldn't happen to be the same batch as the bottle of your IPA you're including in our swap is it? :D

As a matter of fact, it is. You're getting the very last bottle (other than the two that are going to the HBT competition). :)

Yeah congratulations!! I'm heading out to the fair on Sunday and the homebrew section will be the first one i check out. I was planning on entering something this year but I didn't. Sure do wish I could try some of that BOS IPA though.....Did you enter anything in the label contest??

No, didn't have time to do a label this time around.
All of the Northern Kentucky and Southern Indiana HBTers really need to get together and have a few pints.

That's quite a feat, how long did you let it bottle condition for?

It had been in the bottle for about six weeks when it was judged. But honestly, it was much better in the keg right after it was force carbed. The alcohol got a little more up front and noticeable after it was bottled for a while, and the crazy amounts of Amarillo aroma faded a bit.

Congrats man. Great job for your first comp entry.

Who knows what we can expect now. Looking forward to seeing your name on bigger comp results.

Thanks! I'm more encouraged to enter some more competitions now that I've done well in one. I really just wanted to get some feedback on my beer, wasn't at all expecting to win.

Thanks for the comments, all. :mug:

As a matter of fact, it is. You're getting the very last bottle (other than the two that are going to the HBT competition). :)

Woohoo! Award winning beer for me!

BTW, you need to clear out your PM box again. Jeez, pony up for membership already ;)

Got my score sheets back today:

BJCP National judge:

Aroma:
Light malty sweetness. Hops are minty, woodsy, citrusy. Some grassy notes. Apricot notes as beer warms.
9/12

Appearance:
Bright orange-gold with haze. Near white head, farily thick with good retention.
2.5/3

Flavor:
Low malt flavor with a light grainy, drying finish. Fruity. Hop bitterness is moderate to moderately high.
12.5/20

Mouthfeel:
Medium+ body with medium+ level of carbonation. Apricot flavors as beer warms. Some light astringency.
4/5

Overall Impression:
Nice beer. Body seems to be at the lower end of the range. Hops aren't huge but are complex. Clean. No off flavors detected outside of some astringency. Nice job.
7/10

35/50

-------------------
Non-BJCP novice judge:

Aroma:
Nice hop aroma, floral, fruity, piney.
8/12

Appearance:
Nice head, good retention, golden color.
3/3

Flavor:
Medium hop flavor with floral, fruity, pine notes, light on malt balance.
10/20

Mouthfeel:
Smooth, consistent, medium body feel.
4/5

Overall Impression:
Hoppy, not overly bitter, medium body with nice hop, floral, and fruit aroma, nice head and head retention.
7/10

32/50

-------------------
BJCP Apprentice judge:

Aroma:
Big hop aroma, piney, low malt character, some esters.
9/12

Appearance:
Medium gold color, good clarity, well-retained
3/3

Flavor:
Low malt flavor, strong northwest hop character, balanced toward hop side.
15/20

Mouthfeel:
Light to medium body, medium carbonation, somewhat creamy.
3/5

Overall Impression:
Well-attenuated and dry which brings the hop profile to prominence. A well crafted beer.

37/50

-------------------

I have to agree with the low-medium body comments -- my next batch (just kegged recently) had more body and was less thin.

Completely disagree with "well-attenuated and dry" comment -- OG was 1.062 and FG was 1.018. I was worried it was going to be too sweet, actually. Turned out fine though.

Anyway, thought I'd share my first competition scoresheets. I agreed with the judges for the most part. It was fun to see how other people experienced my beer.

Dang it, you had to go and post the scoresheet. That was the final temptation, I went ahead and opened up the bottle you sent me. Pours crystal clear, dense white head, awesome carbonation coming up the sides of the glass. I'm halfway done with the pint now, and it's still got close to 1/2" of nice tight foam on top. I get nice clean pine aromas, and a delicious hop flavor finish.
IMAGE_042.jpg

Good lacing and head even 3/4 of the way through the pint:
IMAGE_044.jpg

As it warmed up the hop bitterness increased a bit, also got a hint of alcohol. Anyway, congrats again on the win. Thanks for sending a bottle of this delicious brew my way :mug:

WOW and for your first comp, that's fantastic I just entered my first comp, yet to be judged with an AG, english copper ale that was oak cask conditioned.
I was real worried about it at first, but once it aged it has improved greatly. I am not real big on English Brown Ales but this one is quite nice and actually improves at a little bit warmer serving temperature. Aren't beers just amazing, it is really tough to get two batches to taste exactly alike.
Congrats on your win. FANTASTIC. Great color and clarity.

Back