Any sanitizing wipes out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmc

Reaction score
I would like to know if any of you use sanitizing wipes, and if you do what kind. I think it would be convienent to use since I dont feel like making a 5gl. batch of star san just to clean my hrdrometer when checking readings. Anyone?

Next time ya make up a batch of Starsan fill up a old spray bottle. Then you'll always have a bit on hand to spray down your stuff when ya dont need a whole 5 gallon batch worth

I've used 100% polyester towels the size of paper-towels soaked in Everclear or vodka; seemed to work but have no idea of the efficacy.

I have never used a commercial wipe, but have made my own. I keep a spray bottle of star san and spray a paper towel and use it as a wipe. I do not like to waste Star San either so here is how I sanitize. I mix 1 gallon of Star San and pour about 1 pint into the fermenter and shake it ervery once in awhile. I pour some into the spray botle and the rest into a walpaper tray I bought at home depot,and all the tubing and other stuff goes in there. After I finish brewing I pour the Star San back into the plastic jug and save it till I transfer to secondary, and pour it back into the jug until I bottle or keg. This way I use only a tiny bit of Star San . To sanitize the inside of tubing and wine theif and other things I use a turkey baster and stick the end into the tubing and spray it full.

scottmc said:
Spray bottle. Awesome. how long will star san last?

Star-San will remain effective as long as the pH stays below 3. You can check this with some inexpensive pH test paper strips. Even if the pH rises above 3, it can just be "sweetened" up by adding a little more concentrate to drive the pH back down.

John

OF course you could probably safely use any antiseptic/antibacterial wipe including those that contain bleach (in fact the clorox bleach wipes might be the thing). Any trace amounts of the wipe's chemical content would be insignificant and undetectable in a 5 gallon volume.

I put some One-Step in a small pot or something to do small size sanitizing jobs like that. Wipe everything down and your good to go.

Back