Southeast Nebraska Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
I've been doing my best to find cheaper alternatives for those of us in this region. Our LHBS is a great guy, but he doesn't deal in much volume and his grain prices are very high for anyone that brews more than a few times a year. Here's an example:

10lbs 2-row
Local cost: $15

That's enough for the average 5g batch of a pale ale. Every 4-5 beers you make, that's a sack of grain. If you EVER make bigger beers (Imperials, Stouts, etc.) now you're down to 3-4 batches per sack.

At this pricing it would cost you:
$75 for 50lbs (at 10lbs. each buy)

Even if you brew once a month in just 4 months you'll spend up to another $35 on grain doing it this way. That's $105 a year. Timmy could get a nicer Christmas with that back in your pocket...

So I've talked with several sources around the country who can do a bulk buy for us, since the wholesalers aren't accepting new homebrewer accounts and the only one I know of around here is very far in between orders. In post #2 of this thread I have the pricing details of what we're looking at, straight from the vendor.

You might not think you brew enough to need a sack or two of grain, but I redirect you to my previous breakdown. It only takes 3-5 batches (5g) to use up 50lbs. of base malt. I think most of us brew twice a month at least...that's about every 60 days you're burning through a bag.

At that rate you're saving $210 a year over per batch prices, or $120 over per bag prices.

Interest?

Update:

I have a source that's offering the following prices for a 10 bag order with freight to Lincoln at $135 (so bag prices add $13.50 until we get over 10, then it will go down with each additional bag). Each bag is 50lbs. unless otherwise noted. All bags are Briess unless otherwise noted.

2-row $34
6-row $35
Maris Otter (55) $49.50
Pilsner $38
White wheat $37
Red wheat $37
Honey (55) $52.50
Pale ale $38
Vienna $38
Caramel 10 $47
Caramel 20 $47
Caramel 40 $47
Caramel 60 $47
Caramel 80 $47
Caramel 120 $47
Carapils $47
Victory $48
Rye $53
Chocolate $49
Black patent $49
Flaked barley (25) $19
Flaked corn (25) $20
Flaked oats (25) $22
Flaked rice (25)$24
Flaked rye (25) $18
Flaked wheat (25) $16
Flaked terrified wheat (25) $16

The price of each bag drops significantly (due to spreading freight cost more plus a discount in price) when we hit 20 bags. A fellow brewer and I are already in for 11 bags, so get in soon!

Dang it....where were you when I bought my last 2 50# sacks!? J/k :) When do you plan on placing the order? The only things I burn through quickly (that I don't already have in bulk) are Maris Otter and Crystal 60, but I just don't need another 50-55# of each. Well...I might be persuaded to go in on a sack of C60. I have lots of base malt already. Let me know when you're ready to pull the trigger.

Btw, thanks for going to all the trouble of arranging the group buy....much appreciated, even if I don't buy anything.

I'm definitely interested in at least one bag, maybe two. Let me check my inventory tomorrow and I will let you know what I'm looking for. It is greatly appreciated. I always buy base grain by the sack, I keep 3 varieties on hand and it is definitely a big time money saver!
Briess also makes a Mild Malt (Ashburne), would that be available too?

Dang it....where were you when I bought my last 2 50# sacks!? J/k :) When do you plan on placing the order? The only things I burn through quickly (that I don't already have in bulk) are Maris Otter and Crystal 60, but I just don't need another 50-55# of each. Well...I might be persuaded to go in on a sack of C60. I have lots of base malt already. Let me know when you're ready to pull the trigger.

Btw, thanks for going to all the trouble of arranging the group buy....much appreciated, even if I don't buy anything.

Some time after 8/15. Gotz to wait on payday! Depending on how many people get involved, we may wait longer. If we have a hard time just getting to 10 bags, we'll do it promptly in mid-late August.

Briess also makes a Mild Malt (Ashburne), would that be available too?

I'll find out.

Yep. That's available and I'll have a price for you today.

Update: "10 bag price will be $43. There shouldn't be any Briess grains I can't get"

This will NOT be the last. I don't have the $$ to buy 6 months worth of grain, so I'll be doing this multiple times throughout the year and always searching for better prices. I'd buy a giant 500lb. container of malt if it was cheap enough! :D

Currently at a tentative 15 bags, making shipping a mere $9 a bag. Use this to calculate total bag price with base prices above.

Man oh man....if only I had my AG stuff actually purchased! Hoping to make the jump to AG from extract sometime soon. VERY glad to hear y'all are planning more of these.

Okay, I would like a sack of the Ashburne Mild Malt and one of plain two row. Outstanding! Let me know when you're ready to place the order and all the details etc. I will PM you my phone number.

Up to 16 bags right now! Remember, if we get to 20 prices drop another few dollars per bag plus reduced shipping per bag!!

I'm in for the following:
  • 2-row
  • Maris Otter
  • Pilsner
  • Vienna
  • Munich Dark (if available)

tre9er, I know you have my order (7 bags! :drunk:) from our email conversation, but I just wanted to thank you publicly for putting this together. I appreciate all of the leg work you've done to put this together.

tre9er, I know you have my order (7 bags! :drunk:) from our email conversation, but I just wanted to thank you publicly for putting this together. I appreciate all of the leg work you've done to put this together.

Don't worry...if you only knew the REAL prices for this stuff :D

kidding ;)

I'm in for two bags of 2-row. PM sent.

23 bags! Shipping is going down even more!

Today is the last day! I'm sending the order in at 12PM CST. Don't worry, though, we'll do it again soon.

CLOSED

See you in a few months, or as interest builds. Feel free to PM me about getting another one started!

I want in on the next one! I just found this thread today..

It won't be long. I should burn through my grain by year's end if not sooner. If enough others need grain before then, we'll throw another one together.

Thanks, i just realized I met you at Tim's the weekend before last. You had the imperial nugget, right?

Thanks, i just realized I met you at Tim's the weekend before last. You had the imperial nugget, right?

Yep. I'm not good with names, better with faces. Looking forward to the picnic/bash next time. I'll be at BeerQuest this Sunday, too. :mug:

Actually, I think I remember you. We talked in the back tap-room earlier in the day, tried each other's beer, you had a single hop PA I think?

The Railroaders Brew Club and South Omaha Brewers will be doing a group buy in October. From what I hear, the prices will be even better than this group buy. Once we get it going, I'll post on this site and see if any of you want to get in on it.

Also.... I'll be at Beer Quest this Sunday as well. I'll be serving Blassphemie Belgian Pale Ale. Stop by and say howdy.

Yeah I saw you made the finals, congrats! I fell short, oh well. I threw the recipe together the night before I brewed it, my first attempt at a Dubbel. Needs time to age, really. Can be hard to make a good high-gravity Belgian in 6 weeks.

The lack of time to allow for aging is exactly why I decided to go with a simple Belgian Pale Ale. And I mean it is SIMPLE! It is all pilsner malt, Czech Saaz hops, and dark Belgian candi. I inverted the sugar and simmered it for about 90 minutes to get it to the color of maple syrup. I should have mashed at a higher temperature though as the beer came out extremely light bodied since nearly all the sugar converted to alcohol. That is good and all, but it could use some more body. It is still damn tasty though.

I saw all those darker malts they offered and figured that would put it in for a Dubbel. I also used pretty much all of the sugar for a 9g batch, so it's dry...That's why it needs more time to age. The JuicyFruit yeast flavors could mellow-out some for me, too.

Yep. I'm not good with names, better with faces. Looking forward to the picnic/bash next time. I'll be at BeerQuest this Sunday, too. :mug:

Actually, I think I remember you. We talked in the back tap-room earlier in the day, tried each other's beer, you had a single hop PA I think?

Yeah, that's right. Unfortunately I have to miss the picnic. I'm kicking myself for scheduling a trip that weekend. Tim's got a little slice of paradise out there!

Back