What are the odds...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inturnldemize

Reaction score
...of getting an infected batch? Chances are i'm being a little paranoid here but I just want to make sure my batch will be good! I have no signs of infection at all but the whole bottling process worries me a little. I'm going to bottle on Friday.

Everything that touched my wort was sanitized, whenever I took my hydro readings, I sanitized the cup I used. Believe it or not, i'm fermenting the beer in my room lol. Not sure if this can have a bearing on anything. Also, for my own obsessive curiosity, I would open the lid of my fermenter 1-2 times a day. However, i'd always open it just a crack, like 2 inches.

Basically, how often do infected batches happen? Has anyone gotten them before and what's the ratio of infected to non-infected batches?

Thanks peeps. Always helpful!

I think I've had three unintentional infections in 4.5 years of brewing, which is a lot of batches. Only one of those (the first one, a Mr. Beer kit batch) was a drainpour.

Not usually. Often you'll be able to tell whether your beer is infected before you even get to bottling.

...of getting an infected batch? Chances are i'm being a little paranoid here but I just want to make sure my batch will be good! I have no signs of infection at all but the whole bottling process worries me a little. I'm going to bottle on Friday.

Everything that touched my wort was sanitized, whenever I took my hydro readings, I sanitized the cup I used. Believe it or not, i'm fermenting the beer in my room lol. Not sure if this can have a bearing on anything. Also, for my own obsessive curiosity, I would open the lid of my fermenter 1-2 times a day. However, i'd always open it just a crack, like 2 inches.

Basically, how often do infected batches happen? Has anyone gotten them before and what's the ratio of infected to non-infected batches?

if you're careful and sanitary...chances are the beer will be fine. the more more you are opening the fermenter and messing with it, the higher that chance goes. there is really no need to be opening it everyday.

24 batches so far - 0 infections.

If you are careful to sanitize you may never get one.
Don't open your fermenter so often. Each time is a chance that infection could take hold.

I only open my fermenter to take a FG reading. If it is at predicted levels I then bottle so I only open it twice total. Once for the reading and last to transfer to the bottling bucket.

i have done some pretty stupid stuff and still have not seen an infection. i'm actually pretty surprised with some of the stuff i got away with.

Clear carboys, glass or plastic (Better Bottles) for you would be better if you want to watch the fermentation progress.

Back