18th century recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jelsas

Reaction score
Anyone out there have experience trying to recreate beers (or meads or any other alcoholic beverage) from the 18th century? My father-in-law is into re-enactments/rendezvous and asked if I could brew up something for him to share with his buddies.

I found this book: "Libations of the Eighteenth Century: A Concise Manual for the Brewing of Authentic Beverages from the Colonial Era of America, and of Times Past"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1581126565
that seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for. Anyone read it?

I made the "Poor Richard's Ale" last year (Ben Franklin Tercentenary). That was an attempt to re-construct a tavern ale of that era.

A few people have tried the "Valley Forge" molasses beer. I hear it's bad, very bad.

I did the original version and really liked it. 16 local craft brewers also made it and there was a tasting in Portland. I'll probably make another batch in the fall.

I wouldn't try the extract version. The corn needs to be mashed and changing biscuit to C20L would make a big difference in the final flavor. Plus, with 5 pounds of specialty grains why not do AG? If your LHBS carries alpha enzyme, you could try extract, but I would still use biscuit.

I had a poor richard's ale from a well-respected Chicago brewery and it was delicious. nice and malty. However, I'm sure it was brewed more with an eye toward tastiness rather than authenticity. But, on the other hand, I'm sure the same was true 300 years ago. But, of course, on the third hand, tastes have changed, whereas, on the fourth hand, who the heck has four hands?

Latest posts

Back