American IPA Chinook IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5@ 67F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7@ 67F
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
see below
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.55 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 15.69 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.84 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
1.00 oz Chinook [12.60 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [12.60 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 7.5 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 38.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [12.60 %] (15 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [12.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 3.95 gal of water at 162.6 F 151.0 F

Nottingham was added dry.

Normally I would have given this beer a lot more time (I'd recommend 7-10 in primary, 1-2 weeks in secondary and a 7 day dryhop), but I was pushing it through for a party I had on 8/30. Much to my surprise, the BMC drinkers in attendance kept going back to this beer over the Blonde Ale that I also had on tap.

Don't be afraid of all the Chinook. Only 1 oz of it is used for bittering, and the rest of the additions actually contribute to what turned out to be an intense, but fantastic hop flavor. I added 1 oz of Amarillo with the Chinook when I dry hopped to get a bit of the floral/citrus in the nose, and it worked very well.

Mashing at 151 helps to dry out this beer and contribute to a clean, crisp finish that suits the style very well compared to to other IPA's that I've done between 152-155.

This is the best sub-100 IBU IPA that I've made yet.

View attachment Chinook IPA.bsm

How was the Chinook? Citrusy or something else. I used it recently and feel like it didn't have a lot of the citrus taste to it.

To me, Chinook is spicy and has hints of piney/floral. This is a good beer. I'll be sad when the keg is gone.

I think I'll make this up as my test batch for the new keggles. Mabye even a full 10G. I have a buttload of Chinooks in the freezer waiting for a beer.

Nice recipe - going to try it now.

Glad to hear the chinook comes through as piney - I recently had some Rogue Yellow Snow IPA which I thought had that flavour (others describe it as grapefruit?) and bought the chinook just to try and get that flavour.

I might replace the 60 minute addition with Magnum - think that would affect much?

Nice recipe - going to try it now.

Glad to hear the chinook comes through as piney - I recently had some Rogue Yellow Snow IPA which I thought had that flavour (others describe it as grapefruit?) and bought the chinook just to try and get that flavour.

I might replace the 60 minute addition with Magnum - think that would affect much?

That should be just fine. Magnum is really quite neutral as far as flavor and aroma contributions.

Checking back in with comments on the beer. It turned out fabulous, best brew I think we've made.

The Chinook is definitely an excellent choice for a finishing hop if you want a big IPA - in your face, and a different from other choices out there.

I followed the 'spirit' of your recipe, with some small changes. Mind if I post it here so people can see something a bit different?

First off great recipe, This was a very good hoppy beer. I changed one thing with the recipe, I dry hopped with columbus and chinook. Thanks again for posting this. The chinook is very strong but not overwhelming, I loved it.

I brewed this beer roughly 2 weeks ago and transferred it to kegs today and then dryhopped. Unfortunately Amarillo hops are more scarce then a gallon of gas priced under $4.00 so I had to improvise, I opted to use Zythos. So far I am pretty impressed, I will have more updates in a few weeks. Cheers!

ForumRunner_20121017_174015.png

Mmmmmm!! Pulled my dryhops and tried a little sample. This is a great beer! I am looking forward to a cold, carbonated pint of this in a week or 2.....if I can wait that long :)

So I filtered a few gallons into a keg 2 days ago. My thoughts were to do a side-by-side and see how the filtered vs. unfiltered tasted. I did a tasting woth my local BJCP amd he liked the unfiltered better. As did I, but bis comments substantiated that when you filter, you filter hop flavor by removing free floating hop culmones. It was a good experience, I am going to.brew this same recipe again soon!

I have a ton of Chinook I went to use up. Will be trying this recipe this week.

One question, I am out of 2 row but have a full bath mo and pils. Would the mo be a decent sub for this?

I made this with a few modifications. I dry hopped with centennial hops instead of amarillo, and I used belle saison instead of nottingham.

Probably the best beer i've brewed so far. Love the chinook.

Thanks!

I think I will brew this Sunday. I have all the ingredients on hand, so I don't have to get out in the snow to go to the lhbs. The only two yeast I have here are 1272 and 1968. Which do you guys recommend?

Latest posts

Back