Sour Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhuff

Reaction score
I currently have a batch of Kriek in primary (not on fruit yet) fermenting with Wyeast 3278, lambic blend. I was thinking that after I rack it into secondary I'm going to have this funky yeast cake just sitting there and would like to try something with it. Has anyone ever tried fermenting a cider with a lambic strain(s)? Thinking I might just pour a couple of gallons of fresh cider on top and see what happens! Any thoughts?
Thanks, Alex

I bet i'd be interesting if you could get it to work, but I'm not sure if it would. Since cider ferments so dry, I'm wondering if the non-yeast cultures would have anything to work on after the yeast eats all the sugars.

If it does work, you'd probably have to backsweeten. Hard cider has a lot of acid in it to start with, it'd probably be too much to drink dry if you make more with lambic cultures.

I brewed a cider last year with crabapples accounting for half the juice. At our Oktoberfest several homebrewing friends of mine thought it was some sort of apple lambic, even though it was fermented with Nottingham yeast. I think Skyforger has the right idea about the acidity, but OTOH it may be the best thing ever.

Thanks Guys. Going to transfer in a about 2 weeks and will give this cider experiment a go. I'll post back hopefully with some good news!

So I cracked open a bottle of the sour cider last night and it turned out great! Had a definite sour bite and aroma to it as well as a nice little cider taste on the tail end. After transferring it and letting it ferment out for about 8 weeks, I primed it with a packet of US-05 yeast and some priming sugar, bottled and let it set again for another month. It was so good I think I'll try an full 5 gallon batch soon to have it ready for fall.

So I cracked open a bottle of the sour cider last night and it turned out great! Had a definite sour bite and aroma to it as well as a nice little cider taste on the tail end. After transferring it and letting it ferment out for about 8 weeks, I primed it with a packet of US-05 yeast and some priming sugar, bottled and let it set again for another month. It was so good I think I'll try an full 5 gallon batch soon to have it ready for fall.

Did you let this age at all? If so, how did it turn out?

I've still got some bottles and am still drinking it. Tastes great! Have a couple of 22oz bottles that I am planning on breaking out at New Year's, I can see if there has been any change then.

Latest posts

Back