San Francisco beer stops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alers22

Reaction score
Any breweries or bars besides Anchor and 21st Amendment I should see while in San Fran? I checked out the breweries on the San Fran Beer Guild web site but I am not familiar with many other than Anchor and 21st Amend.

Thanks!

Are you planning on going outside the city at all? The bistro in Hayward typically has some pretty damn beers on tap.

I went to the 21st amendment brewery, beer wasn't that good, but the rueben sand which my girlfriend ordered was unbelievable.

You could check out Half Moon Bay Brewing Co., which is just outside the city. They had some decent beers. Nothing spectacular, but enjoyable beers and they have a pretty good menu and nice location near the water. I was only there for a day and a half this summer, so I didn't have too much time to check out the beer scene.

hmbbrewingco,com

Definitely go by:
City Beer Store, they have a good tap selection and A LOT of bottle beers to choose from.

Shotwells, good beer bar with a good selection

The Dark Horse inn, one of my favorite bars, again, this is a beer bar, only beer and wine. Great tap rotation and some good bottle beers.

Toronado, the best beer bar in SF. A little out of My way, but it's an awesome place! They have the largest selection of beer and barlywine on tap in SD

If you have the time go north! Russian River is an hour and a half up the 101 and there are 10 or 12 good breweries on the way (including Lagunitas like Kobrew said).

if you are not leaving the city, Toronado is the place to drink craft beer.

This website has lots of great info about the area breweries:
http://www.bayareacraftbeer.com/bay-area-craft-breweries/

If you have the time go north! Russian River is an hour and a half up the 101 and there are 10 or 12 good breweries on the way (including Lagunitas like Kobrew said).

if you are not leaving the city, Toronado is the place to drink craft beer.

This website has lots of great info about the area breweries:
http://www.bayareacraftbeer.com/bay-area-craft-breweries/

Skip 21st A- very disapointing. As others mentioned Tornado is a must, my fav place was Social Kitchen & Brewery socialkitchenandbrewery.com. I was blown away by the beer at Bear Repulic and that part of Nor Cal is awesome- if your heading that way.

Yea, plus one to Social Kitchen. The rogue public house is fun, if you like Rogue beers, but I'm going to have to toss one in for Magnolia Gastropub. Just incredible beers- they're doing some really special stuff there.

Depends a little on where you're staying in the city. If you find yourself wandering the Mission District some evening, stick to the well lit streets, this place was my Saturday evening hangout for several years. I can only assume Shawn, the owner, is still keeping good beers on the taps and a selection of bottles:

http://amnesiathebar.com/newp/

pyramid just across the bridge, anchor is cool if you can get in make sure you taste the old potrero. rogue is overpriced kind of a tourist trap. thirsty bear puts out some good stuff, i always just drink there, food is unimpressive. if you head north like others suggested lagunitas, bear republic, russian river, sierra nevada

As several people have pointed out, toronado is a must. Zeitgeist should also be on the list. If the weather is decent, sitting out on the back yard at the community tables is a perfect late afternoon.

The brewpubs are all.... Fine. Meh. Decent food, decent beer. (21st, HMB, thirsty bear, magnolia). There is a new restaurant in the Mission that specializes is Belgian. The name escapes me... (And don't believe the people who tell you the mission is a bad neighborhood, it's just fine. Stick to Valencia near 16th and you can't go wrong for several blocks).

There is a new restaurant in the Mission that specializes is Belgian. The name escapes me... (And don't believe the people who tell you the mission is a bad neighborhood, it's just fine. Stick to Valencia near 16th and you can't go wrong for several blocks).

Monk's Kettle? Frjtz?

Yes the Mission is fine and the area of Valencia and 16th south and west has plenty of options. I still wouldn't say wander certain areas to just anyone. I never had any issues anywhere in the Mission, but I also know a lot of people who aren't as aware of their situation and surroundings when strolling and could probably get themselves into a knife fight strolling through the Union Square Macy's.

Definitely toronado and magnolia in sf and surprised no one mentioned beer revolution in Oakland. The place is epic. Quick trip on the BART.

Latest posts

Back