HBT dictionary...or commonly misspelled brew terms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm.. I'm all for promoting intelligent conversation and all, but I don't see what the big deal is if someone makes a post that has a typo or two (or the occasional mis-spelled word). Not everyone can type 100 wpm with 90% accuracy like Yuri. :D

Of course there are some posts that just scream to be defamed because of glaring inaccuracies, but I come here to discuss beer. I've made a lot of friends here and enjoy other conversations with the group as well, but I'll never feel badly about typing 'rediculous' as opposed to 'ridiculous', or using 'effect' when I should have used 'affect'.

ohiobrewtus said:
Umm.. I'm all for promoting intelligent conversation and all, but I don't see what the big deal is if someone makes a post that has a typo or two (or the occasional mis-spelled word). Not everyone can type 100 wpm with 90% accuracy like Yuri. :D

Of course there are some posts that just scream to be defamed because of glaring inaccuracies, but I come here to discuss beer. I've made a lot of friends here and enjoy other conversations with the group as well, but I'll never feel badly about typing 'rediculous' as opposed to 'ridiculous', or using 'effect' when I should have used 'affect'.

You have a valid point, however, we all come here at least in-part to learn.
The infomation we choose to use or ignore is the same here as in the brewing arena. This thread makes it fun for some of us. I can see where it's not everyone's cup of tea.

wut y00 f00s tawkin bout? i cum heer 2 get awai frum werk en dis wut eye c? shiat.

hehe...i usually only mispell when i think it's funny (i.e. when it really annoys somebody)

you should have never started this thread. now everything i post will be misspelled :p

ohiobrewtus said:
Umm.. I'm all for promoting intelligent conversation and all, but I don't see what the big deal is if someone makes a post that has a typo or two (or the occasional mis-spelled word).
What's funny is that you misspelled the word, "misspelled." :tank:

I'm not necessarily trying to be your English teacher, and I don't mind the occasional typo. I'm just trying to facilitate a bit of learning and good communication. I'll occasionally reference a dictionary, and I thought it might be nice to have a mini brew version here, that's all.

Code:
Sause, can you educate everyone on the proper use of commas?

Here's a trick on the its/it's: if you can replace is with "his", use "its". 

How about people who use the word "alot" when they mean "a lot".

Finally, never end a sentence in a preposition (at, for, on, etc).

BierMuncher said:
For me...trying to mix proper grammar/spelling/syntax...with the discussion of beer, especially whilst drinking the same, is like posting safe sex guidlelines at an orgy.

LOL... :mug:

Speaking of punctuation, which letter would you rather get? This one:

Dear John:

I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we’re apart. I can be forever happy--will you let me be yours? Gloria

or this one:

Dear John:

I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we’re apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be? Yours, Gloria

Yuri_Rage said:
What's funny is that you misspelled the word, "misspelled." :tank:

I'm not necessarily trying to be your English teacher, and I don't mind the occasional typo. I'm just trying to facilitate a bit of learning and good communication. I'll occasionally reference a dictionary, and I thought it might be nice to have a mini brew version here, that's all.

Meh, it happens.

Man, this makes thread me feel like I now have to get out "Big Red" (my grading pen) just to read HBT. Is this the beginning of the Dark Times?

But if we're going to play....

Lots of good info in this thread, but one of my little pet peeves is hypercorrection, i.e. when people start policing language too much out of a sense that it *sounds* correct, rather than out of a understanding of the rule. There's a bit of that going on here, as well.

No one brought it up, but whom/who is often confused and people will use "whom" or "whomever" simply because they think it sounds better. Or the me/I thing, too.

How about this one, which was discussed...ending a clause with a presposition. It is perfectly OK to terminate a clause/sentence in a preposition *IF* the preposition is part of the verb's meaning (as opposed to being part of a separate prepositional phrase). ex.: "She's ambitious and sure to move up." There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. (English is after all a Germanic language and has certain Germanic tendancies. If you want to learn the mysterious ways of prepositional modifiers to verb-stems, take German.)

And, someone said something about "was" in a condition as opposed to "were" being incorrect. That's incorrect. They're two different types of conditional statements. "If I was thinking about that yesterday, then I was wrong." That's a simple past condition. "If I were thinking about that today, then I would be wrong." That's a present contrafactual condition. NB: it's not just a change in the verb's tense/mood in the protasis (if-clause), it's also the change in the apodosis (then-clause). The two conditions say different things.

OK...starting to feel like I'm at work....no, no, no.....

How 'bout this? Instead of correcting each other's posts here, even if indirectly, we correct beer labels, homebrew catalogs, brewpubs' menus, etc.

Faber -- I was speaking specifically of usage of "was" when trying to construct the past subjunctive mood, in which case it would be incorrect. Of course it's fine in the past indicative, as you demonstrated. :)

e lo said:
Faber -- I was speaking specifically of usage of "was" when trying to construct the past subjunctive mood, in which case it would be incorrect. Of course it's fine in the past indicative, as you demonstrated. :)

We both must be philologists of some variety. Who else talks about indicative v. subjunctive moods...before lunch?

Beer: it eases the philologist's burden. Wouldn't you say?

Cheers, mate :)

faber said:
Beer: it eases the philologist's burden. Wouldn't you say?

Cheers, mate :)

:mug: Here's to that!

As for me, I'm merely a philologist by proxy. My mom and step dad were both English professors in their past lives, before becoming a nurse and a border patrol agent, respectively. Me, I'm a scientist. :)

Wow, cool parents! (I always love to hear about rehabilitated professors ;) one of these days....)

Hey, scientists often know more Greek & Latin than many English dept. or comp. lit. philologists. As for me, I'm one of those pompous, self-righteous, nostril-flairing ancient language archaeo-philologists. If you need someone to crush idle chatter at a cocktail party, I'm your man.

I'm not a scientist, but I once drove with one in a motor pool car on the way to a Holiday Inn Express for a state conference :)

faber said:
Wow, cool parents! (I always love to hear about rehabilitated professors ;) one of these days....)

Hey, scientists often know more Greek & Latin than many English dept. or comp. lit. philologists. As for me, I'm one of those pompous, self-righteous, nostril-flairing ancient language archaeo-philologists. If you need someone to crush idle chatter at a cocktail party, I'm your man.

I'm not a scientist, but I once drove with one in a motor pool car on the way to a Holiday Inn Express for a state conference :)

:D

I just split my chapped lip open, and it's bleeding into my mouth.

I just love this-"If you need someone to crush idle chatter at a cocktail party, I'm your man." :mug:

faber said:

This illustrates the problem with threads like these. Inevitably, everyone makes a mistake. Unless you have a knack for opening your nostrils, then I believe you flare them. :)

I'm sure I made an error that will be pointed out in a post or two.

I'm an engineer here. We take scientists' ideas and figure out how to kill people with them.

Nyxator said:
This illustrates the problem with threads like these. Inevitably, everyone makes a mistake. Unless you have a knack for opening your nostrils, then I believe you flare them. :)

I'm sure I made an error that will be pointed out in a post or two.

I'm an engineer here. We take scientists' ideas and figure out how to kill people with them.

I live in a world of figura etymologica. Ain't it sweet? My nostrils create accent and atmosphere.

Man....pretty soon, we'll be able to count a post on HBT as a peer-reviewed pub.;)

Cheers, gents:mug:

faber said:
Man, this makes thread me feel like I now have to get out "Big Red" (my grading pen) just to read HBT. Is this the beginning of the Dark Times?

How 'bout this? Instead of correcting each other's posts here, even if indirectly, we correct beer labels, homebrew catalogs, brewpubs' menus, etc.
No, no, no!

I'm not trying to suggest that everyone needs to be a grammar nazi. I'm simply trying to give HBT users a quick reference sheet for common brew terms and a few common grammar errors so that we can all communicate more effectively.

DaveyBoy said:
Not specific to brewing, but I see the word "commercial" spelled incorrectly ("commerical") a lot on here.

Commerical Brew Discussion!?

I commented on that awhile back, but to no avail. Is that spelled that way intentionally and I'm just missing out on a joke or something?

A little note since we are on Grammar:

Contrary to the pronunciation given earlier, Vorlauf is pronounced For-lauf where the "au" is said like "ow", the sound you make when you hurt yourself. In German, V=f, W=v, E=ay, I=ee, J=y, Z=ts, S=z, and ss = s.

The correct translated spelling is Kraeusen, the pronunciation being Kr-oi-zen. The "e" in Kraeusen stands in place of the umlaut, or "the two dots" over the "a". The use of "e" in place of the umlaut was deemed an acceptable method of spelling around four years ago as a move towards a more global form of present day German.

We German speaking people still know what you mean but it would be nice to see the words spelled correctly since many of you have chosen to add them to your Brewcabulary.

Of course, I speak Bavarian and therefore should be the last person to be handing out spelling and pronunciation advice. :)

ye cun jam yer feckin spellin op yer arctichoke.
ah wull spell how ah wahnt tae and nae bugger will tell me elsewise.

Good idea for the beer related words though.
I also push for the single space after the comma and a double space after a period (AKA full stop). For example, like this. Not like this. This.

FlyGuy said:
I think N2O would be a lot of fun in beer! :cross:
At the local arena they put that into the beer so it mellows people out and fights dont start at basketball games. Always wondered why the beer was a little flat!

Do we ralley need tihs psot?
Can olny srmat poelpe raed tihs?
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs tahn mabye we dont need tihs psot?
I can raed tihs and as my wfie alyaws syas I'm not srmat.

Belgium is a noun. Beers from Belgium are Belgian. Belgian is the adjective.

I see that far too often here.

Latest posts

Back