Sanitizing auto siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howbrewyoudo

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for sanitizing an auto siphon and associated tubing. I was thinking of just pumping a star San solution from my bottling bucket through the siphon and tubing, then letting it dry out a bit. Any input on this will be appreciated.

i just pump it through, but i pull the cane all the way to top to get every corner inside then just wipe down the outside with my hand.. then after i use it, rinse with water then it gets another starsan treatment then put back.. everytime i oxy-clean a carboy i siphon it all out through auto siphon just for a good scrubbing... then rinse really good, star-san and put away..

I got a flower box planter from Lowes.
About 2-3 feet long, plastic tray.

Works great.
Cost $4 or so.

Suppose I'm transferring a batch into a carboy for secondary fermentation. I fill the carboy with a starsan solution, then use the auto-siphon to move the solution from the carboy to an empty bucket. I'll spray the outside of the auto-siphon with starsan solution in a spray bottle, and now the carboy and auto-siphon are sanitized, ready to go. I'll also put the airlock and stopper into the receiving bucket so they get sanitized too.

First I soak the siphon and tubing in a 5 gallon bucket for a few minutes to santitize the outside since it will be imerged in the beer. Then I just use the auto siphon to transfer the starsan from one bucket to another. It's simple and has not yet caused any problems.

I bought a thin walled 52 quart plastic storage container. I can place a bucket or carboy on its side or the autosiphon from corner to corner. I can also fit 50 bottles at once in it.

Now I have two. I can have PBW in one and StarSan in the other.

Stick the end in the bucket of starsan and pump through the tubing with the end of the tubing still in the bucket. Stick my hand in the starsan and make sure the entire exterior of the siphon is wet. Done. Don't let it dry. It's useless if its dry.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for sanitizing an auto siphon and associated tubing. I was thinking of just pumping a star San solution from my bottling bucket through the siphon and tubing, then letting it dry out a bit. Any input on this will be appreciated.

Remember, Star San is a wet contact solution. You don't want it to dry out. Also, I second the wall paper tray. They're like a buck or two at Sherman Williams paint stores.

I have a fermenter that had to be retired because of a crack in the lid. If I'm bottling I mix my star san in the bottling bucket, put the siphon in, rub solution all over the exterior with my hand and siphon into the old fermenter. I end up reusing it several times for different things.

While all great options (esp. the wall hangers tray), when racking to my keg I've been simply using my spray bottle of star san. Spray down my hands. Spray the outside of the tubing. Put the nozzle up to the tubing and spray in a few squirts and shake it all around. For the siphon itself spray down the outside and inside well. Swirl around as needed and dump out the excess. Assemble the tubing to the siphon, loosely knot the tubing to keep it up and out of the way while I do other things and clip to inside of the fermentor. When ready, bring the tubing to where I want it to go and I'm good.

During brew day I usually have a bucket of star san handy, but not so much when I'm just doing some utility brew tasks such as kegging, etc. I've had great success with it. Now I use my wall hangers tray to store all my clean long items and misc items like racking canes, hydros, spoons, paddles, airlocks, etc.

5 gallon bucket....I can fit about 10 16oz bottles, my autosiphon and few other goodies in it at once...hasn't done me wrong yet

While all great options (esp. the wall hangers tray), when racking to my keg I've been simply using my spray bottle of star san. Spray down my hands. Spray the outside of the tubing. Put the nozzle up to the tubing and spray in a few squirts and shake it all around. For the siphon itself spray down the outside and inside well. Swirl around as needed and dump out the excess. Assemble the tubing to the siphon, loosely knot the tubing to keep it up and out of the way while I do other things and clip to inside of the fermentor. When ready, bring the tubing to where I want it to go and I'm good.

During brew day I usually have a bucket of star san handy, but not so much when I'm just doing some utility brew tasks such as kegging, etc. I've had great success with it. Now I use my wall hangers tray to store all my clean long items and misc items like racking canes, hydros, spoons, paddles, airlocks, etc.

Same here. Spray bottle of Star San is kept for all my typical days I don't want to mix a bunch of Star San up.

Spray bottle. Easily the most time & cost effective, IMO. StarSan w/distilled water lasts indefinitely.

Back