flour in your mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mabbing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a theoretical brewing question: could you use rye or wheat flour in your mash and still get a conversion as long as there was plenty of 2 row?

Unless there is something done to the flour during the manufacturing process it should be the same as un-malted grain, Right. I know that you be missing the hulls and have to be careful about a stuck mash. I don’t know if I would ever plan on doing this but could save the brew day on a pinch.

Thoughts?

Theoretically yes. You would have to bad a bunch of rice hulls to mke it work though.

Personally no, it goes against my rule that I made my beer from the most basic ingredients. I don't know where that flour as been or how it has been treated, or with what for that matter.

I've used 10% whole wheat flower before. It works fine. Wheat will gelatinize at mash temps so it can be fully converted, so will rye and barley. You have to work out the dough balls. If you mash in below gelatinization temp it dosen't dough up. Corn meal doughs up pretty bad too but it will not fully gelatinize at mash temps.

Back