What do I do with the excess?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Brewing3

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA and used a new primary bucket I got without being smart and marking the 5 gallon mark on the side. when topping off in the primary, I didn't want to have too little so I added some more...and then a little more for good measure. When I transferred to the secondary, it wouldn't all fit in the carboy so I put the extra in a growler capped and put in air lock. When I went to keg, the carboy filled the keg and I couldn't fit the growler in.
My question is what do I do with that extra?
Once I drink enough out of the keg can I pour the growler in?
If I do that can I will it effect the carbonation?
Will it cause flavor differences?
The IPA turned out great, it is delicious and very drinkable and I don't want to ruin it or change the flavor.

Make a homemade carbonator cap and force carb in 3liter Soda bottles ?? I made the cap but haven't had any overage to try it on yet .. I did force carb a beer in a soda bottle and it worked great !

warex said:
Put a little sugar in the growler to carbonate it. Then drink it in two weeks.

I've had a Growler explode from doing this. I would recommended carving in something else.

Growlers aren't intended to hold the pressures that carbonation can create. You can put it in a 3 ltr. soda bottle add some sugar and let it carb. How much sugar, I can't say, but I'm sure someone or some searches on HBT can direct you.

So would it hurt anything to add it to the keg when there is enough room? No one has commented on that idea. Is that because it is a bad one?

how much is in the growler? I dont keg personally but I cant see it effecting the taste much at all if the keg is already mostly full...might need to let it sit for a few days after adding but i think u would be fine

I brewed an IPA and used a new primary bucket I got without being smart and marking the 5 gallon mark on the side. when topping off in the primary, I didn't want to have too little so I added some more...and then a little more for good measure. When I transferred to the secondary, it wouldn't all fit in the carboy so I put the extra in a growler capped and put in air lock. When I went to keg, the carboy filled the keg and I couldn't fit the growler in.
My question is what do I do with that extra?
Once I drink enough out of the keg can I pour the growler in?
If I do that can I will it effect the carbonation?
Will it cause flavor differences?
The IPA turned out great, it is delicious and very drinkable and I don't want to ruin it or change the flavor.

So, I can't answer the growler question but I do have a question for you. Before adding water (and then a little more), did you do a SG measurement to see where your SG level was vs what was expected? Adding water will reduce the SG, reduce the bitterness/IBU level...all of which is OK if you had expected to be low based on the grain bill/hops used, otherwise you are just watering down your beer?

I honestly wouldn't worry about it and just pour it down the drain. Yeah I know the whole "don't waste beer" mantra, but I also know the "don't run anymore risk of infecting your beer than you have to" mantra. I follow the second one. I guess I'm just lazy, but who knows.

Just my two cents.

So, I can't answer the growler question but I do have a question for you. Before adding water (and then a little more), did you do a SG measurement to see where your SG level was vs what was expected? Adding water will reduce the SG, reduce the bitterness/IBU level...all of which is OK if you had expected to be low based on the grain bill/hops used, otherwise you are just watering down your beer?

No i did not measure the SG prior to adding the water. I thought about that after the fact. My SG was a little low, I think 5 or 6 points if I remember right. I think it was supposed to be 1.062 and I was at 1.056. When I checked I figured I added too much water, but didn't realize how much until I went to 2nd fermenter. This has been a learning experience in more ways than one. My main goal at this point is to figure out the best answer for my mistake.:eek:

how much is in the growler? I dont keg personally but I cant see it effecting the taste much at all if the keg is already mostly full...might need to let it sit for a few days after adding but i think u would be fine

It's a full growler...about a half gallon of beer. So you think if I was going to pour it in the keg, I would be better to do it early rather than wait? I think the thought process would be if I added a half gallon growler to 4 gallons of finished beer it would have less effect on the taste than if I added the growler to the last gallon or so in the keg. It makes sense in theory.:confused:

If you do dump it in with the keg, I would refrdgerate it first. And of course re-purge after you add it to the keg. Shouldn't hurt anything though, you might have a temporary backslide in carbonation but it should even out pretty quick.

Ok, if it is done and "ready to keg", why not just bottle the stuff in the growler (after mixing up the appropriate amount of sterilized sugar/water solution)?

Ok, if it is done and "ready to keg", why not just bottle the stuff in the growler (after mixing up the appropriate amount of sterilized sugar/water solution)?

That would be a great idea except, I have never bottled. I don't have any bottling equipment. I am new to brewing and this was my 5th brew ever. I started with kegging and have never done any bottling. So I am trying to find another solution.

Don't do it. Like I said, it will explode! Growlers were not meant foe this.

You could go to the store and get a couple swingtop bottles of something or other and fill them up with a siphon.
Or just drink it flat after you've had a few and don't care:tank:

Back