Beer Tools Pro says diff than Beersmith2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
Ok, I have both programs, and I entered the same recipe to the dot, well close, beersmith doesnt have Munich LME in it's database but BTP does.

My problem is, BTP says my IBU's are 100 when BS2 says they are at 59.9. Everything but the Munich LME is the same, so how come BTP says my IBU's are way off the charts?

I have both set up as extract, 60 min boil.

did you make sure the scale (i,e tinseth) are the same on each program? don't know if that would change the IBU that much.

Yes I'm pretty sure, and both are at 5 gal batches and have the same pre boil volume.

only other thing i can think of is adjusting the AA%. I know sometimes i forget to change the default % when i am entering in a recipe to represent the hops AA% actually used.

I am not intimately familiar with Beer Tools Pro, but what method does it use to calculate bitterness?

In Beersmith you can use either the Tinseth, Rager, or Garetz method. You might try changing that option to see if it has the desired effect.

Make the AA% of your hops, the pre-boil gravity, boil-off rate, and the pre-boil volume all match.

Back