Immediate Help Needed For Bottling!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deranged_hermit

Reaction score
so i'm in the process of bottling my first batch, and the priming sugar is already set. i THOUGHT i had all the bottles i needed. but after a closer look, not all the bottles fit. my red baron capper doesn't grab a hold of the lip in the neck for every bottle. now i am stuck with a half batch of beer that is ready to bottle, and no bottles for it!!! is there any way i can jerry rig my red baron to cap these other bottles (which are still "pop-top" bottles, not screw top) and save my beer??? help please!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, Sam had that avatar for about a day and then it just "switched" on him :D

Be creative deranged one. Considering your in IN you probably can't get beer at 11:30pm. Well, if you could oh-so gently pour it out of the bottles that suck back into your bottle bucket and cover it; or siphon it back into your primary/secondary and restart those tomorrow with correct bottles. You may need to add a bit more corn sugar (amt unknown; less than 1/2 what you used?) as the yeasties start to feast again. Depends on how long it takes you to restart bottling. Then keep those separate from the others that you did bottle so you can taste test in case something did get screwed up.

SomeofABeeach! I just had me a Boil Over!!! Hop's everywhere. No more typing and a helping. Damn it, now I got to dump this batch ;)
This American Wheat is mighty tasty :drunk:

i'm very surprised that nobody else ever had problems like this. because bottles like Franziskaner, Spaten, Carlsburg, etc dont have deep enough lips on the neck for the Red Baron to grab ahold to. i had help from a friend and froced the caps down, and i think it will work. they have a really tight seal, but i'm still worried that they didn't go on tight enough. i suppose i will find out in a few days once carbonation starts (and boy does this beer need. it tatstes like warm flat killians at the moment).

for the future, i had some green grolsch bottles (not swing caps tho), and they work perferctly. also the Franzi pints worked really well.

It's too late for this session I guess, but supposedly there a little plate in that red capper that pulls out and turns over for use with those green franzi type bottles...do a search back a ways...hb_99 talks about how to do it.

The better solution tho is to throw away that wing capper and get a bench capper...they're just a few bucks more, but they'll cap any style bottle with much less effort and no chance of shattered bottles.

Back