1 gallon all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jizba

Reaction score
I used to extract brew fairly often. after moving around a few times i ended up selling all of my equipment. I would like to get back into brewing hopefully all grain this time. I don't know if i can afford a good 5+ gallon system and was looking for reviews or tips about the 1 gallon all grain kits that are being sold now. Due to space and $ restriction the 1 gallon system seems like a fun option and an easy way to get a few small batches going at a time. Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated.

Just skim through some of the crap in the beginning of that thread, it took a bit for the anti 1 gallon brigade to get bored with picking on that threa, and for the actual brewers to participate....but there's a lot of great info in there.

I haven't used any 1gal specific kit(s), but I am doing more and more 2gal brews. I say go for it. Make beer! :)

1 gallon all grain is all I am doing now.
I picked up a 2 gallon rubbermaid beverage cooler at Home Depot for $10, I use that as a mash tun, along with my own BIAB method, basically I strain my mash through a nylon bag covered colander, return the grains back to my cooler and batch sparge, then strain through the bag after that is done. I have been hitting low 70% efficiency with store milled grains. I hope to improve that with the barley crusher I have sitting under my christmas tree :)
PS: 2 gallon fermentation buckets and 1 gallon glass jugs are really cheap as well.
PPS: 1 gallon kits are around $10 to $15 plus shipping, I buy the ingredients at my local home brew store and my batches run about $5 each, that includes harvesting and reusing yeast.

Its about as easy as making tea,except longer.Boiling,cooling,aerating. Pitching yeast. You get the idea. It couldnt be simpler than getting a grain boiling bag. I dont think it could get easier than a grain bag a pot and a kitchen stove and doing a small batch as far as just learning all grain brewing, I think its the best and easiest way to start all grain.

A few of the major online homebrew shops are now selling 1 gallon recipes. Brooklyn Brew Shop seems to be the only store that focuses on 1 gallon. They get pretty decent reviews. I started with a kit from them and no extra equipment (had stock pots at my house, a strainer...collected flip top bottles)

The 1 gallon thread has a few recipes but you can scale any recipe you seem interested in on this site easily. Good luck

though 5 gal batches are my norm, i love making gal test batches. they take less oversight than an outdoor kettle and they cost almost nothing with washed yeast and several grams broken off pound orders of hops.

i made in a stainless pot, which i stick in the oven set to ~150. this ensures a fairly constant temperature for the whole mash. i then strain using a large stainless chinois. all of this is stuff i already owned for cooking...

Back