Ufleku clone and/or style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was fortunate to be in Prague a few weeks ago and had this beer. You can't get in anywhere but at the brewery. There isn't that much info on it. I guess it seems to be a dark lager, but I've read that it's like a porter. It was really good and I'd like to brew it. Anybody know more??

I was fortunate to be in Prague a few weeks ago and had this beer. You can't get in anywhere but at the brewery. There isn't that much info on it. I guess it seems to be a dark lager, but I've read that it's like a porter. It was really good and I'd like to brew it. Anybody know more??

I did a lot of research into this also and didn't find much. I pieced together some information on some gentlemen who visited the brewery and watched them make it. I ran the numbers they gave and too many things were just off. Anyway, I put together a recipe which I brewed. I had some errors in my mash and I came out with a very thin beer. I plan on doing it again, but with better control. Below is the recipe and notes I took in researching it:

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/18/2012
Batch Size: 5.15 gal
Boil Size: 8.25
Boil Time: 120 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.43 lb Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 47.63 %
2.66 lb Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 28.58 %
1.33 lb Caramunich II (Weyermann) (63.0 SRM) Grain 14.28 %
0.44 lb Carafa II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 4.77 %
0.44 lb Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (19.0 SRM) Grain 4.74 %
1.10 oz Saaz [3.10 %] (110 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
1.10 oz Saaz [3.10 %] (100 min) Hops 12.6 IBU
1.35 oz Saaz [3.10 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1 Pkgs PC Staro Prague Lager Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2782) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.79 %
Bitterness: 24 IBU
Est Color: 24 SRM

Mash Profile

75 min Mash at 151.0 F

--------------------------

The following notes are taken from my research

GOAL: 1.048 OG, 1.012 FG, 28 IBU's

DECOCTION SCHEDULE

100 degree acid rest (30 min)
infusion to 126 degree protein rest (30 min)
1st decoction -- 1/3 of mash - raise to 147 for 10 min, raise to 162 for 10 min, then boil for 10 minutes
add back and temp is raised to 149 degrees for 30 min.
2nd decoction -- 1/3 of mash - raise to 162 for 10 min, then boil for 10 min (ADD carafa II to decoction here)
add back and temp is 170 degrees for 10 min.
lauter as normal
boil 120 minutes *** Note this is key ***
fermention at 50 for 14 days (or until 80% done then diactyl rest)
lagering for 14-28 days minimum

---------------------

The reason for the long 2 hour boil? Carmelization. I think this beer has a distinct carmelization and that is achieved by this long boil. My efficiency was only 66% and mine tasted too watery. I never did get this carmelization flavor either, so I am thinking I did not boil strong enough for it to happen. Next time, I am going to reduce the Carafa and make the color a bit lighter, but not too much. I will also do a mash around 153 degrees and see if I can get a little more body to the beer. The decoction could be fun to do if you had all day to do it, but not necessary.

I've found another dunkle lager that uses carmelization to create a unique flavor in their beer and that is Lost Abbey's Hot Rocks. They use hot granite rocks to produce a carmelization profile. Unfortunately, I can't get this beer to try it.

If you make a recipe, please share it and your thoughts, etc. One of my favorite styles is a Munich Dunkle and I am on a (slow) quest to find one I can repeat over and over -- sorta a house beer. :mug:

The brewers association did a bit on this beer a few years ago, with a full writeup on the process and ingredients. The recipe is accurate and it makes a very nice beer. I've brewed it twice, first time was 'ok' and second was great... quite similar to what I had in Prague. The link to the BA website doesn't seem to work, but do a search for Bohemian Dunkel on the website and you should come up with something. The staro-prague lager is a wonderful yeast and will make a great boh dunkel, however, they certainly aren't using aromatic.

50% Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt @ 1.8 °L
30% Weyermann Munich I @ 6 °L
15% Weyermann CaraMunich® II @ 45.5 °L
5% Weyermann Carafa® II @ 45.5 °L (at sparge)

3.9 oz (110 g) Saaz @ 4.5% AA (10 minutes into the boil)
3.9 oz (110 g) Saaz @ 4.5% AA (20 minutes into the boil)
4.3 oz (122 g) Saaz @ 4.5% AA (115 minutes into the boil)

O.G: 1.048+ //F.G: 1.012// 30 (?) SRM// 28 IBU

Ah, yes, I should have mentioned I put in the aromatic because I wasn't doing the decoction mash. Thanks for clarifying that!

The brewers association did a bit on this beer a few years ago, with a full writeup on the process and ingredients. The recipe is accurate and it makes a very nice beer. I've brewed it twice, first time was 'ok' and second was great... quite similar to what I had in Prague. The link to the BA website doesn't seem to work, but do a search for Bohemian Dunkel on the website and you should come up with something. The staro-prague lager is a wonderful yeast and will make a great boh dunkel, however, they certainly aren't using aromatic.

50% Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt @ 1.8 °L
30% Weyermann Munich I @ 6 °L
15% Weyermann CaraMunich® II @ 45.5 °L
5% Weyermann Carafa® II @ 45.5 °L (at sparge)

3.9 oz (110 g) Saaz @ 4.5% AA (10 minutes into the boil)
3.9 oz (110 g) Saaz @ 4.5% AA (20 minutes into the boil)
4.3 oz (122 g) Saaz @ 4.5% AA (115 minutes into the boil)

O.G: 1.048+ //F.G: 1.012// 30 (?) SRM// 28 IBU

Thank, I just found the Write up. I'm totally psyched..I'm gonna brew this beer soon..

this is a great beer - please let us know how it comes out

IMG_1629.jpg

bierhaus, do you have tasting notes of this on your blog? What did you do differently in the second batch versus the first? I have some Bohemian Lager 2124 I'd like to use this winter. I see it might be a bit more attenuative than the PC strain, which I haven't used. Any differences or adjustments I should make to the above recipe?

bierhaus, do you have tasting notes of this on your blog? What did you do differently in the second batch versus the first? I have some Bohemian Lager 2124 I'd like to use this winter. I see it might be a bit more attenuative than the PC strain, which I haven't used. Any differences or adjustments I should make to the above recipe?

I made two batches of this beer. The first was drinkable, although I fermented it too warm and I wasn't able to lager it for very long. Also, I didn't do a decoction. The second batch turned out great. I did a double decoction and was able to control the ferment temps and lagering process. The only thing I did differently was to use around 10% cara-munich, as that was all I had. Also, making a BIG starter really helped. I'll be making another batch this winter.

Anybody know the water profile?? I believe Prague's water is soft, but can't remember. I'm brewing this beer this weekend and would like to get it right.

Back