Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, even in the rain for the first brew, it had me more relaxed and able to enjoy the brewing day. paint is holding up great. All 2000 degree paint.

Yes, even in the rain for the first brew, it had me more relaxed and able to enjoy the brewing day. paint is holding up great. All 2000 degree paint.

How did you cure the paint?

I'm about to start wrestling with paint on my stand and curing high temp paint on such large structures seems to be problematic at best...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
How did you cure the paint?

I'm about to start wrestling with paint on my stand and curing high temp paint on such large structures seems to be problematic at best...

Cheers!

My stand is similar to his, though I lowered my BK. To cure my 2000 degree header paint, I ran the burners with a 1/4 inch by 4 ft piece of steel I had laying around. I put the steel over the burners and let it run for a while. Moved the steel around to try and create an oven type of heat for the top of my stand.
I also cured it in stages. No primer.

It worked good enough I guess. 6 brews in and paint job is still at 100%, not a spec missing. Using natural gas though.

Where is the best place to get this paint, every thing I have found at local auto parts and lowes is only rated for 900-1200?

I found mine at Autozone. It's VHT Flameproof. Not engine block paint. It said it was flat orange, but after I shot a coat of hi-temp clear it turned more of a Hemi orange. The Black is the same stuff and the primer too.

I baked the black the same way. Turned the burners on for 5-10 minutes with a pot on it and then let them cool down. Repeat a few times. The orange I used a heater that sits on top of a propane tank. Heated up a section then moved. Repeated that a few times. It's hard as a rock, and still looks fresh after the first brew.

The other part I stumbled on was the spigots. Used a sharkbite union on the copper fresh water line - makes it water tight and rotates 360 degrees. Like a restaurant faucet. There is one for the brew kettle and one for the HLT. They swivel out of the way to move the pot or to fill up a pitcher. Also a quick disconnect for my immersion chiller on the front.

IMAGE_68B0640A-5B9B-46E7-BE30-B9BB7A2B8799.JPG

Complete build:https://picasaweb.google.com/115446924633055354996/Brewing2012#

wncbrewer said:
Where is the best place to get this paint, every thing I have found at local auto parts and lowes is only rated for 900-1200?

I got it at an auto store. It's header paint, made for 2000 degrees. Didn't use primer, people I talked to said it wasn't necessary.

For the non black hot parts, I just used regular primer and quality spray paint. Some of these areas can still get pretty hot, but looks perfect still.

Thanks, I finally found a local auto parts that stocks it. Great idea on your sharkbite pipe swivel also. I will be using that if you don't mind

Never used the shark bite fittings but am impressed. If it wouldn't have doubled the cost of the rig, I would have done them instead of sweating fittings.

179978_3962922520945_1516804901_3325412_168385397_n.jpg

Slowly but surely it's coming together! I used the Rustoleum 2000F paint. Bought it at Lowes. I have not finished plumbing or wiring it yet, so I can't cure it. Does waiting a month after painting matter?

I have it almost done. Hope to wet test this weekend. Plumbed gas tonight, tomorrow I'll plumb water.

image-3013890012.jpg

image-445148710.jpg

image-2500797662.jpg

garbageman said:
Never used the shark bite fittings but am impressed. If it wouldn't have doubled the cost of the rig, I would have done them instead of sweating fittings.

I have used them for various household projects with success, the are bloody expensive, but it is nice not to have to deal with solder/pipe glue/pex rings

I have it almost done. Hope to wet test this weekend. Plumbed gas tonight, tomorrow I'll plumb water.

Very nice! I love the rig, just wondering, are you are direct firing with RIMS for your mash? If so why?

Great work...

Option said:
Very nice! I love the rig, just wondering, are you are direct firing with RIMS for your mash? If so why?

Great work...

Well I'm going to try the e-rims tube and see how it goes. I thought if I ever wanted to direct fire or step mash, I would through the extra burner in there.

heres the new one.. gonna do a test batch this weekend and see where my numbers lie. probably will add supports in the middle, but we will see after this weekend!

2012-05-22_21-46-01_528.jpg

then paint.. but not sure on a color.

Here's my simple electric rig. I've been very satisfied with the results. I'm not going to miss propane brewing in a Minnesota winter. That's for sure!

ForumRunner_20120523_151827.jpg

This is an inspiring thread! I'll cobble something together this weekend if I'm not out at the cabin.

Great work everyone. A lot of great ideas in this thread.

Rivenin said:
heres the new one.. gonna do a test batch this weekend and see where my numbers lie. probably will add supports in the middle, but we will see after this weekend!

I configured mine the same way. I love the BK on the lower level.

This is the three tier I settled on. $73.00 in parts from Seville Classics (plus a sheet of Hardy board) and 15 minutes to assemble it. It's stable, mobile, and fits under the garage door :O) One member was concerned about stability so though I have experienced no issues, I would not suggest anyone with misgivings try a design with which they are not comfortable.

IMG_0561.jpg

2012-05-22_21-46-01_528.jpg

Old ^^^^
new v v v v v

2012-05-26_10-32-53_964.jpg

got some keggles and broke it in yesterday.
Next up is welding supports in the middle!
it was fine with the kettles, but not the keggles. :fro:

Also i built a propane manifold for it... 30PSI for any of our burners is WAY overkill i found out :drunk: . Other then a siphon loss. all worked well!

Rivenin said:
Old ^^^^
new v v v v v

got some keggles and broke it in yesterday.
Next up is welding supports in the middle!
it was fine with the kettles, but not the keggles. :fro:

Also i built a propane manifold for it... 30PSI for any of our burners is WAY overkill i found out :drunk: . Other then a siphon loss. all worked well!

Are you able to pump for you BK? Looks like your pump is at the same level.

Are you able to pump for you BK? Looks like your pump is at the same level.

yep! pump was a bit iffy at first, but as long as i pumped about 1/2 throttle it was fine.

i'm either A: going to switch my HLT to my BK (the HLT valve is about an inch or so higher) or remount the pump under the stand and get some elbows for the pump. hopefully brewing next weekend so i'm going to try that and see what happens.
thats why it's not painted yet either. wanted to brew a few times and make welding changes so i don't mess up the paint at all.

that was many weeks ago. still selling the car. I now have the pc controlling the pump and heat. only bug is a leek of gas that I. found and will reweld to fix this week
I have avideo of here working
[ame]http://youtu.be/YQL3RMIsM4U[/ame]

in america kegs are a dime a dozen on craigslist and cheap as can be. you can definitely use aluminum but you cannot clean the pots once they oxidize. stainless is much better.

Have any more pics? Looks like mine... only not ghetto lol. The bk is about the same height as mine

Latest posts

Back