Why do I sometimes see bubbles in my siphon???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slogger

Reaction score
I can see, hear and feel bubbles running through my autosiphon. Happens about 50% of the time. I was just sanitizing, running some starsan through it and it happened again. Is it normal? Am I doing something wrong? FWIW none of my beer has taken on an oxidized flavor.

You can usually squeeze where the clamp is to stop the bubbling. I am not sure if I have had oxidation from this bubbling, but it is on my mind so I stop the bubbling immediately when I hear it or see it. Just in case.

B

Do you see this with unfermented wort, or only with fermented wort? If unfermented, I would guess air leak; fermented, I would guess either an air leak or CO2 coming out of solution.

EDIT: I just re-read your post, sounds like an air leak. I would tighten or replace your clamps.

CO2 coming out of solution.

I was hoping and guessing for this. So here's the thing, I got bubbles when I ran starsan through, then made absolutely no adjustments, racked with the siphon to my secondary and no bubbles. Also when I do get the bubbles, I see them in the tube of the siphon before they meet any of the hose.

It can be the seal of the siphon. I had that problem with an auto siphon. I take a turkey baster and squirt a little beer above the seal so air cannot get past the seal. Problem solved.

I can see, hear and feel bubbles running through my autosiphon. Happens about 50% of the time. I was just sanitizing, running some starsan through it and it happened again. Is it normal? Am I doing something wrong? FWIW none of my beer has taken on an oxidized flavor.

Try getting a small hose clamp on there and tighten it down slowly until snug. If you still have bubbles try two. If it's coming from where the hose connect you'll only see it beyond that part, if it's from the auto siphons plunger you'll see the bubbles running up the auto siphon.

Back