Rye malt and the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPCousin

Reaction score
Wondering about Mashing with Rye Malt?

Do I need to adjust my temps as all or can I just do a single infusion with a mash of 155 for 60 minutes and then sparge usual with 170 degree water?

Also, we discussed 4%rice hulls to help with the grain bed and the stickiness issues. What are peoples experience with that?

First time using Rye. Thanks any help. :tank:

On Saturday I used rye for the first time in my smoked rye ale...4 lbs (30%) with 1/2 lb rice hulls. I did a single infusion mash at 152 F. I didn't have any problems with my sparge. My OG was 1.068 & I was shooting for 1.072, so pretty close. One guy I talked to said he used 70% rye in one of his recipes because smaller quantities of it gives a very subtle flavor. I think Northern Brewer recommended using up to 50% rye. We'll see how mine turns out. Hopefully it's detectable.

I always do about 2-3 big handfuls of Rice Hauls and dont have any problems.

And mash the same as I normally would.

I used 23% rye in a brew this past weekend, used no hulls and had no issues with stuck mash, but then again I use a different set-up.

It did however plug up my outlet filter from the mash tun to the fermenter.

Its some sticky stuff.

We're doing an 11% Rye Malt and 4% rice hulls in the mash so far. Its going ot be a rye PA brewed by itself and then one batch sendaried with Turnip. Do you think 11% will be enough to get a little rye bite ot come through or is it too light?

I made a rogen with 50% rye and no rice hulls. No sticking just slow runoff.

I think you need 20% to get noticeable flavor and it seems the American stuff is more pungent than the stuff from Europe.

I've done a 70% rye roggenbier with 10% wheat and 10% malted barley. We used 2 lbs of rice hulls and it still formed a concrete-like mashbed. The run off was extremely slow, but well worth the effort. We I doing this again, I'd knock the rye percentage down quite a bit and use more malted barley for the backbone.

--Chris

Wondering about Mashing with Rye Malt?

Do I need to adjust my temps as all or can I just do a single infusion with a mash of 155 for 60 minutes and then sparge usual with 170 degree water?

Also, we discussed 4%rice hulls to help with the grain bed and the stickiness issues. What are peoples experience with that?

First time using Rye. Thanks any help. :tank:

I made a 100% Rye beer, it was 5lbs Rye malt, 1.5 Lbs Crystal Rye, .50 lb Chocolate Rye. I used about 3lbs of rice hulls with no problems at all, and yes it will self convert so just a normal single infusion mash is all that is needed, If you are adding any adjuncts that need converting i would add a lb or 2 of 6-row just to be sure, other than that your gonna be just fine! :mug:

Vance71975,

Did you have any problems with mouthfeel in that beer? What was your mash schedule?

I made a single infusion 100% rye last summer (just base malt, then did some kettle caramelization for flavor). The flavor was good, but the mouthfeel was soooo slick that I ended up dumping it. If I could correct the mouthfeel, I'd do it again for sure.

I did my first two batches with Rye semi-recently, and both went off without a hitch. The first was OG 1.048 with 17% Rye and a handful of rice hulls, and I used my normal single infusion without any problems. The beer is very yummy, but I can't say the Rye jumps out at you, so I might try a higher percentage next time around. The second was a RyeIPA at 1.065 OG with just 12% Rye...still fermenting, so I don't know how it tastes, but the mash was same as ever with a handful of rice hulls in the mix.

I have some experience baking bread, so I know how sticky rye flour can be, and I definitely decided to err on the light side for my first couple of tries. At some point, I'll probably try a doing a brew with ~25% Rye to see how that goes...

I made a Rye IPA awhile back with 20% rye malt, and mashed as I normally would. No rice hulls, no stuck sparge. Tastes awesome. I may try more next time to get more rye flavor. My latest IPA has 10% rye and 10% wheat...ended up with more doughballs than normal, but once I broke those up it mashed and sparged/lautered as any other batch.

We ended up going with 15% Rye malt and added 4oz of rice hulls to help with the mash. Worked out very well. We could taste the Rye in the in the wort after it was chilled and about to pitch.

Back